LED marineland lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone!

I've been trying to do as much research on my own as possible before asking But I think it is time to ask some experts some questions! I've have a LED Marineland strip light on my 10 gallon tank for about 3 years now, it's been fine with plastic plants. BUT, My LFS started carrying live plants sooo.. I was SUPER BAD and bought 3 Anubias Nana before researching if my light could house plants:facepalm: even with how sturdy I was told Anubias are.. Turns out no..??? my LED light cannot support even low light plants. I think Watts per gallon is kind of irrelevant now? So, I focused on lumens? Are these calculations correct? Lol

My light has:
234 Lumens
5 Watts
7800k Light appearence (Assuming thats the same as intensity???)

The light is only 4.78 lumens per area?
I calculated my 10gal measurements LxWxH=1,120 sq inches, then divided that by how many lumens the light has-234.
The website told me best lumen per area is 12-17 for a low light set up?? Im not sure if any of this is correct, But am I on the right track? lol I'm pretty lost when it comes to lighting a tank. I am trying to find my way!

Thank you! ^_^

It's not going to do much for any live plants. Consider upgrading to a current sat plus (not pro) or finnex stingray.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would look at an upgrade. Anubias is very hardy though. If it has enough nutrients I'm sure it will be fine.

Caleb

Sometimes you can find good deals in the BUY|SELL|TRADE section of this forum.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the current sat plus, I use a pro for my reef and it's really good for growing my zoas. I'd assume the plus would be good for plants

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The finnex stingray is inexpensive and is a very good choice for a low light tank. Its only 30$ on amazon.

I'm planning to get a 30" for my 20G build.

Back
Top Bottom