LED Moon Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botanica

Aquarium Advice Freak
I everyone...I have a lighting/algae question. We have a 130 gallon community tank that is lightly planted and has been up and running for about two months now...began adding fish about threes weeks ago. We have 2 Marineland Double Bright LED 36" light fixtures on the tank and they are advertised as offering 24 hour lighting...there is a strip of blue moon lights (8) running down the center of each fixture. Will leaving these blue lights on at night encourage algae growth or hurt the fish in any way?? I have noticed a small amount of brown/rusty algae growth on a few rocks...but I'm unsure if it is from the moon lights or the natural lights coming in during the day. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

The moon lights on those fixtures are insufficient for growing photosynthetic life. Leaving them on at night should have no adverse effects on fish or plants, or cause algae growth.

The brown you are seeing are most likely diatoms, which are very common with new setups. Generally they will grow for a few months or more, but then eventually they will disappear from the tank.

fort384 said:
The moon lights on those fixtures are insufficient for growing photosynthetic life. Leaving them on at night should have no adverse effects on fish or plants, or cause algae growth.

The brown you are seeing are most likely diatoms, which are very common with new setups. Generally they will grow for a few months or more, but then eventually they will disappear from the tank.

Awesome! Thank you...I was hoping that would be the answer. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom