LED or T5HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it's time I upgraded the lights on my 56 gallon tank since I want to plant it. As of right now it has two T8 lights, one daylight and one designed for plants. However as this is a 24" deep tank, they don't do much. I've grown some java ferns and an onion bulb but that's it. I want to get up to medium light, and I plan on supplementing with dry ferts and liquid co2 (glut). I have found a T5HO on eBay for around $100 and a LED on amazon for around $90.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=271194772731&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=14180277274

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BDDIPAU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1369970901&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Which do you think would be the better option? I'm leaning to the t5 so I can adjust the bulbs to suit my needs, but I'm iffy on buying a 'cheap' brand. Give me input!

First off glute is liquid carbon :)

Second, I think you will want a more powerful light if you want medium light. You could do a real nice low light planted tank with the Finnex, though. JMO tho. I am not an expert in lighting at all.

With the t5 light, it *might* be enough for medium light.

Yeah, I was just trying to clarify what I meant by liquid carbon. And I figured the finnex might be a little on the lower light side, another reason I am leaning toward the 4 bulb T5HO that is close in price.

I have the ray 2 on a 24 inch tank and love it. I'm growing medium to high light plants with glute and PPS-pro style fertilizers from GLA. I would strongly suggest it, but it's a matter of opinion.

eAts said:
I have the ray 2 on a 24 inch tank and love it. I'm growing medium to high light plants with glute and PPS-pro style fertilizers from GLA. I would strongly suggest it, but it's a matter of opinion.

Good to know! I've heard good things about the finnex but having such a deep tank I wasn't sure if it would penetrate well enough.

I use the t5hos from hydroponics stores way cheeper

Back
Top Bottom