LEDs for a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do any of you with planted tanks used LEDs? If so, what are they, and what plants do you grow with them? Thank you!

Im not sure if you already knew this, but I use LED's on my 60g planted along with a double T5HO fixture. With this, I can usually grow my plants very well, and you have seen my tank already so you can see how well they grow...I use the TrueLumen Pro LED strips, I have 2 48" 8,000k strips on mine. Works great!

I use the Finnex Ray 2 LED fixture on two of my planted tanks. They are both setup with co2 injection, PPS-Pro Dry Ferts dosing regiment, and have plenty of moderate to high light plants. Check out the link in my signature for the journals.

If you're more interested in a low to moderate lit tank, depending on how tall your tank is of course, the Finnex Fugeray LED fixture is a great option too.

Lastly... although I haven't used the TureLumen Pro fixtures... I'm a big fan of them as well. They're just priced higher but offer a very slim streamline design.

I used this thread in TPT as a resource in selecting LED's...
LED Lighting Compendium

keep in mind the LED selection also relate to your application.
If you keeping low light plant and doesn't really want to grow a forest and spend time cutting down extra plants. You will need to use less Lumen fixtures. If you use high watt lighting then you will need to inject a lot more CO2 to keep up with the high lighting.

I 2nd everything Brian said. He was the one that turned me on to the Finnex Ray 2 fixture for my 20g and I couldn't be happier. I also have the Finnex FugeRay on my 2.5g and I love it as well.

Brian what plants r u growing in that tank with the finnex ray 2? I'm looking to buy this lights if they can grow high light plants. Im growing dwarf baby tear with t5 6500k.

What size tank are you considering LED's for? Distance from fixture to substrate greatly affects the PAR value. For instance on my 6g, its about 12" from light (which i suspended to add extra distance) to substrate. On this build my HC has carpeting in very well and my red plants like Rotala Colorata and Ludwigia sp. Red grow and hold their color nicely... Not to mention crazy growth from flame moss...and new growth with my newly added Downoi.

ForumRunner_20130117_154036.jpg

Now on the 26g, the vertical height is much greater thus reducing PAR. I don't try HC on this one, although at 18" or so distance from light to substrate, the PAR value should be enough to support HC. However, I've elected to go with DHG as the carpet.. Other plants in this build are...

-Rotala Colorata
-Pogestemon Erectus
-Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
-Ludwigia sp. 'Red'
-Staurogyne Repens
-Dwarf Hair Grass (E. Parvula)
-Hygrophila Angustifolia
-Hydrocotyle Tripartita sp. Japan
-Flame moss
-alternanthera reineckii
-cyperus helfiri
-rotala rotundifolia
-cabomba
-persicaria kawagoeanum
-rotala "Vietnam" (removed)
-anubias sp. petite

Here's the 26g...

ForumRunner_20130117_154534.jpg

Both tanks are running Aquatek co2 systems and dosing PPS-Pro.

I have a 72 gal bow front. It's already planted but I'm going to start from the beginning again to make it fun. I'm redoing everything. Yes I have pressurized co2 connected. I want to do a different layout

Attachments

• image-839045735.jpg
    image-839045735.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 252
I think if your 72 has the same height as my 26 bow, then it should do fine for your current plants. I can't really say about HC, since i haven't tried it. But I've asked this question before when i was considering the Ray 2 for a 36g bow.. I got this response:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192325&highlight=

I'll suggest that you read and compare your options for your needs. If the Ray 2 isn't carpeting the HC to your liking, you can always add another Ray2 or even a FugeRay (which is cheaper and less intense) next to the Ray2 to give it at added PAR boost. The Ray 2 and Fugeray use the same HO LED's but the Fugeray uses less LEDs per inch and are more evenly spaced.

I used this thread in TPT as a resource in selecting LED's...

LED Lighting Compendium

The Current Truelumen Pro's might be better for carpeting HC with a tank your size. I believe you can add more than one strip on the same AC adapter with a splitter if more lighting is needed. Plus there's an optional dimmer in case you overshot your lighting needs. Great fixture IMO, just more expensive. Again, explore the PAR values on the link.

Thanks all!

The tank in question in a 20g Long.

Also, what do you guys think of Ecoexotic? Heard anything good from them?

Hey I have a 29g planted tank and I'm currently using a led fixture I put together myself. I bought everything from rapidled.com
I'm running 14 5W Cree xp-g LEDs that put a total output of 3.3W each, it's plenty for growing plants in my tank and possibly strong enough to grow hard coral too if I would've gotten different colors lol, I have 5 warm white,5 cool white, and 4 neutral white; evenly distributed throughout the fixture for even distribution of spectrum in the tank, you should look into it, advantages of led fixtures: less money on the run, never have to change them, less heat, less electrical bill >.< lol. I love my fixture :)

I have been looking at the Finnex Fugeray too, thanks to Brian's help, and I think I am going with that one. :)

Finnex Ray 2 for MA 716 Mr Aqua

Brian, you stated on an earlier thread, and as depicted within your photo that your Ray2 is 12 inches above. Is that measured from the top of your soil, or above the water. Can't tell too much from your picture. I just got a MA-716, and thought to get the Ray2 or Fluval Nano LED lamp . I'm looking to grow HC, glosso, and Rotala. Any further advice? Thanks

I'm using the Marineland Aquatic LED for freshwater planted tanks on my 120
Gallon. It's doing an amazing job. Love the built in timer. I have low to moderate plants with no co2 as I have goldfish so not realistic to have such as a beautiful planted tank as some of u
If I wanted higher light plants I would need two fixtures.
Obviously I'm limited to plants my fish tend to leave alone.
But had had tremendous growth and see pearling more than with my old T5 fixture.

Attachments

• image-1003581901.jpg
    image-1003581901.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1574533826.jpg
    image-1574533826.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3938243417.jpg
    image-3938243417.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1446779815.jpg
    image-1446779815.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3159840948.jpg
    image-3159840948.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 76
What size tank are you considering LED's for? Distance from fixture to substrate greatly affects the PAR value. For instance on my 6g, its about 12" from light (which i suspended to add extra distance) to substrate. On this build my HC has carpeting in very well and my red plants like Rotala Colorata and Ludwigia sp. Red grow and hold their color nicely... Not to mention crazy growth from flame moss...and new growth with my newly added Downoi.

View attachment 144966

Now on the 26g, the vertical height is much greater thus reducing PAR. I don't try HC on this one, although at 18" or so distance from light to substrate, the PAR value should be enough to support HC. However, I've elected to go with DHG as the carpet.. Other plants in this build are...

-Rotala Colorata
-Pogestemon Erectus
-Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
-Ludwigia sp. 'Red'
-Staurogyne Repens
-Dwarf Hair Grass (E. Parvula)
-Hygrophila Angustifolia
-Hydrocotyle Tripartita sp. Japan
-Flame moss
-alternanthera reineckii
-cyperus helfiri
-rotala rotundifolia
-cabomba
-persicaria kawagoeanum
-rotala "Vietnam" (removed)
-anubias sp. petite

Here's the 26g...

View attachment 144967

Both tanks are running Aquatek co2 systems and dosing PPS-Pro.

Hi Brian! I am planning to buy a Finnex Ray 2 for my 20" long 10 gallon aquarium, I really want to be able to grow a dense HC carpet in it as well. From the surface of the water to the substrate it is about 8-10 inches. If I buy the Finnex Ray 2 DS, will I be able to grow high light plants?

Also, is the fixture adjustable? (If I buy the 18", will it fit on my 20" tank)

Where did you get your Aquatek Co2 system? I really want to set one up, but I dont know how... :/

Thanks! :D

Hi Brian! I am planning to buy a Finnex Ray 2 for my 20" long 10 gallon aquarium, I really want to be able to grow a dense HC carpet in it as well. From the surface of the water to the substrate it is about 8-10 inches. If I buy the Finnex Ray 2 DS, will I be able to grow high light plants?

Also, is the fixture adjustable? (If I buy the 18", will it fit on my 20" tank)

Where did you get your Aquatek Co2 system? I really want to set one up, but I dont know how... :/

Thanks! :D

You'll have plenty of light with the 18 inch ray 2 and they will extend 2 inches so it'll be good with a 20 inch. You will need to get co2 first though. You can get an aquatek regulator off amazon or ebay.

You'll have plenty of light with the 18 inch ray 2 and they will extend 2 inches so it'll be good with a 20 inch. You will need to get co2 first though. You can get an aquatek regulator off amazon or ebay.

Will I be able to grow HC and those plants? Other than the regulator, what major purchases do I need to make?

Back
Top Bottom