Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2007, 02:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
Leopard Sword Flower! Wheee!!

My first flower ever! I am over the moon! This is my favourite plant in all my tanks, my gorgeous leopard sword - and though I have no idea where I'll put its babies, I still want them! LOL

One question - once the flower blooms (I assume it will do this above the water?) how do I ensure it is fertilised? How long before I should expect a plantlet stalk thingy? Do I just leave the flower to die of it's own accord, when is it safe to remove it?

And here's some pics... I'm sure you've all seen sword flower, but this is MY sword flower

zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Very cool. Congrats.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My Echinodorus 'Red Special' has done that on many occasions. I just let it reach the surface and get as many as 6 new plants off it. Once they get a little root structure to them I cut them off ( usually one by one starting from the end ) and plant them.

My Tank pics - https://home.cogeco.ca/~plecosterone/My%20Tank.htm
Plecosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
so i don't need to do anything to ensure it's fertilised? simply having a flower is enough? and then at some point later, it will send out another shoot with plantlets on it, yes? or is it from the same flower shoot?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it flowered today (gosh that took a long time!) but it's still under the water, and the petals have been chewed at bit by my fish. is that right? i thought it was supposed to flower above the water? i am worried that i have induced early flowering by doing a water change and reducing the level to under the flower, making it "think" it was above water. will it still produce plantlets?

yes, i am a worried plant-mother

Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Echnodorus will flower under water without any special prompting. The flower bit, and the plantlet bit happen at the same node, but are different parts and separate items.

The little "balls" are flowers, the little "spikes" are plantlets.

btw, that looks very much like an Ozelot (of which there are several varieties). The leopard, has heart shaped leaves and black spots.

Pics of a leopard:
http://www.aquazone.org/aqua_zone/we.../leopard.shtml
http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=073C

Here is a nice pic of a green ozelot, which looks very much like your plant.
http://www.aquazone.org/aqua_zone/we...n_ozelot.shtml
http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=073G
Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ohhhh thank you so much, it all makes sense now!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No prob. Next time if it flowers above water, try polinationg it with a q-tip. You might get some seeds that way.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

re the ID, is the difference between an ozelot and a leopard only the leaf shape, then? it's true my plant does have slightly wavy leaf edges, and the leaves are long rather than round. however, when i got it, the leaves were round and on stems - i assumed this was just the emersed leaf form. the two photos you link to look like the same plant, but one in emersed form. photos i have seen of ozelot before always include a red tint to the new leaves, which my plant definitely does not have.

in another tank, we have what i was calling an ozelot. it's a pale green, with long leaves (again, they started out round and on stems) but they are mostly stright, not wavy like mine. the new leaves come out a very pale greenish pink, almost an off white, with very pale spotting, but this fades completely before the leaf is full grown. my plant holds the very dark spots until the leaves are very old, when they fade very slightly. surely these plants couldn't be the same thing?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The spots on the leopard, really are not red..they are black. from your description sounds like a green ozelot, and a regular ozelot...two cultivars of the same plant. These, ID's are academic, as what matters is that you have one awesome looking plant that is putting up cool flowers.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to kaaikop
Very cool! I am green with envy!
Congratulations!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Whatever the plant is, that is AWESOME! How long have you waited for this to bloom. I have an orchid cactus that is almost 4 yrs old that has yet to bloom for me....oh, it's not an aquatic plant btw!

Congrats!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to David14259
Very nice. Wish my plants would do something cool

My Tank: 20 Gallon Freshwater High Tech Planted
My Plants: Dwarf Sagittaria, Riccia, Crypt Lutea, Rotala Macandra, Corkscrew Val, Blyxa Japonica, Ambulia, Anubias Nana, Flame Moss, Christmas Moss, Echinodorus Parviflorus.
My Fish: 1 German Gold Ram, 3 Praecox Rainbows, 1 Otocinclus Catfish, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 1 Rummynose Tetra, 4 Cherry Barbs
My Inverts: Ramshorn Snails, Apple Snails.
David14259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is great! Flowering plants are a sign of happy plants (or at least frisky ones :P ).
Old 02-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks guys, i am overjoyed at the flower my tank has been set up since october last year, and this was one of the first few plants to go in over the next month or so. this is what it looked like back then :

Tags
flow, leopard, sword

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com