Levimisole in a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
does anyone know if levimisole or praziquantel will affect plants? I need to deworm my tank.

I'd be more comfortable using heat and salt, which I have used in a planted tank for parasites without any lasting negative effects. Any chance of moving the fish to quarrantine for treatment?

If these are free swimming nematodes that cling to the glass and eat leftover food in the tank, then you don't need meds to treat them.

I've seen a few free swimming, and my gourami is acting infected. Spitting out food, and now hiding. What concentration of salt could I use in a planted tank? For my goldfish I usually use 3%, which I understand would kill most plants.

You can try one tablespoon per 10gals of water. Your plants are not going to like it, but they should revive when treatment is over.

I'll give it a try. I would rather use salt than meds, but don't want worms living in my tank waiting for a host. thanks!

I've used Prazipro which is praziquantel to treat fish in a planted tank. I did not notice any adverse side effects. Praziquantel is a very safe and specific acting drug that won't even harm fry according to the label.

levesomol is a good med. I have herd that it does not hinder fish at all but will rid the tank of worms and actually boost the fishs immune system. This drug is currently being used to treat cancer and aids patients for the effect on the immune system. I have used it in my planted discus tank with great success as has a member of another planted tank forum. Your should do more research on it.

well just to update, I used a 1% salt concentration in my tank and haven't seen anymore free-swimmers. Plants are holding up pretty well, crypts lost a few leaves. My gourami is eating, even though still looks a little bloated. I'll wait a few more days and see how it goes. If he doesn't get better I'll treat him in a QT with levimisole.

Back
Top Bottom