LFS plant selection stinks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
several of AA's sponsors carry a wide selection and the prices aren't bad. You can check them out. Just go to the "Visit our Sponsor" link on the top of the page.

pitt420dude said:
Thanks all, I went with Aquarium Plants.com. It ended up being about 19 bucks for 1 java fern, 1 java moss, and 1 anubias nana. Wish me luck, I will update with my results. They owe this sale to AA! :lol:

And we thank AA for it too.

pittdude,

Just FYI, the more plants you order, the better the deal. Shipping has minimum costs. You probably could have ordered 3 java ferns, 2 java moss, and 2 nana's, and shipping would have been almost the same...so your total would've probably been $25 or so.

Yeah i was thinking that Malkore, but with half of my two 65 watts actinius, i dont have that much light and wanted to get only a few plants. If they do will i will harvest them and increase their numbers. They have more sentimental value that way. (Like how you love your own kids more than other peoples kids!) In a low wattage tank, does the amount of plants you have matter, or is it the case that if one of the species will do well, so will all the others like it regardless of how many?

The amount of light that is falling on the leaves is important. The amount of plants only matters if you have a large plant shading the others and they don't get light or your plants are so crowded thaey shade each other.

Ok, I got my plants early friday and ordered Wednesday. I am VERY happy with the plants as the java fern is big and healthy and the same goes for the anubias nana which has a flower bud about to break open allready. The java moss was a little brown but I guess this is to be expected? The ones at the lfs were cheaper because of shipping but not nearly this nice. Very happy with Aquarium Plants. Anybody want to give me tips on what to do with them. I planted the anubias in as much gravel as I could pile up, trapped some moss between two rocks, and tied the java fern to a rock. I also bound some moss to a rock with a rubber band.

I know he's not one of the AquariumAdvice.com sponsors, but you Charley (aka Lowcoaster) on www.AquaBid.com has by far the best plants I've ever received from an online dealer. And you don't have to pay the exorbitant shipping costs because he uses USPS Two-Day Priority mail - about $5 per shipment ;) I highly recommend looking into his auctions. He is the man :)

Just noticed your post about Anubias. Do not bury the rhizome (that big chunky thing all the leaves grow out of) or it will rot. Treat your Anubias like you would a Java fern - tie them to a rock and let the roots develop on their own, they are not a substrate feeder. Anubias will gather all the nutrients they need even if you let them float. Their roots are just for looks (and grasping). If you can manage to kill one I would be impressed, they're about the hardiest plant I've ever kept :)

Back
Top Bottom