Lighing Fixture Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm thinking about upgrading my lighting to at least a moderate set up. So far Ive decided to do a T5HO fixture.

My question is Im not sure what size fixture to get. I have a standard size 55g tank(48" length Aqueon brand). I ask this because my tank has a brace. So im not sure if I should get 2 24" fixtures or 1 48" fixture.

Also any brand recommendations and bulbs would be extremely helpful.

Already growing plants.

My stock: green and bronze crypts, corkscrew vals, dwarf sag, anubias nana, java moss, water sprite, rangeri sword, l. Repens, b. pennywort, java fern windelov, also got a couple of plants not sure what they are. They were rescues from my brothers turtle tank.

Also got a tiny piece of cabomba furcata that I want to propagate.

So yeah I have plenty low light easy stuff but I know some of my plants will do much better with a light upgrade and I think it would look much better overall.

I also use Eco for my substrate, Flourish Comp and Excel for ferts, SeaChem Root Tabs for the root feeders.

Hello Dark...

Either will work for your 55 G. A single fixture is generally less expensive than two shorter ones. A single, 48 inch lamp will work for plants like varieties of Anubias, Java fern and mosses, like Singapore. One lamp limits the number of plants you can have, but you can definitely have a nicely planted tank with these alone.

B

Hello Dark...

Either will work for your 55 G. A single fixture is generally less expensive than two shorter ones. A single, 48 inch lamp will work for plants like varieties of Anubias, Java fern and mosses, like Singapore. One lamp limits the number of plants you can have, but you can definitely have a nicely planted tank with these alone.

B

Yeah I've seen some prices and the 48" fixture is cheaper than 2 24" fixtures. I asked because my tank has a brace and if I got a 48" fixture will the brace affect the lighting.

Yeah I've seen some prices and the 48" fixture is cheaper than 2 24" fixtures. I asked because my tank has a brace and if I got a 48" fixture will the brace affect the lighting.

it won't affect much. the brace will also serve as the "last line of defense" to buy you few seconds of time before falling into the water.

it won't affect much. the brace will also serve as the "last line of defense" to buy you few seconds of time before falling into the water.

Ok I'll probably go with a 48" then. Any recommendations on brands and bulbs? I've seen some ZooMed fixtures at Petco that seem decent.

Hello again Dark...

Yes, larger tanks have the middle brace for stability. The brace is very narrow and won't affect the lighting in the tank. I've used standard florescent lamps for years. They're less than $12.00 each at the local hardware stores. GE has a good aquarium plant bulb that will last well over a year and is fine for low light plants. You can use a 48 inch T8 or T12. Both will give you enough light for Anubias, Java fern and Singapore moss. I started with these lights and plants a number of years ago. These plants are slow growers, but can grow large and look nice. They'll live just about indefinitely in good water conditions.

B

Back
Top Bottom