Light Fixture for 36G Bowfront Planted Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshokKD

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Guys,

Recently started new 36G planted tank. Right now I am using the default light fixture came with it. Though looks like its not going to give me success with the plants.
I am having this tank for 2 months now and growing Anubius (Its doing great), dwarf hairgrass, Red Ludwigia. My anubius is doing great though, there is no growth on the hairgrass and ludiwgia.
I am using Seachem flourite average 3-5 inch. Also am doing DIY CO2 in the tank.
I am dosing Seachem flourish twice a week.

I am little bit worried about my hairgrass as it started becoming light green to yellowish.

Can someone please help with light fixure which I can invest in for this tank?

Tank Dimensions: 19"L x 30.25"W x 20.875"H

Thanks!!

Some snaps from my tank ...

Hair grass needs to be trimmed regularly and really loves co2. Pump in more co2 if you can. You can replace the fluros in your hood with t5ho's and that will give you heaps of light. However higher light means more co2 and more ferts so be prepared to crank that co2 if you want to grow high light plants.

DIY isn't great for higher light, I'd suggest getting pressurised if you can afford it and want good growth.

Thanks. I am trimming hair grass almost weekly. Also on CO2 I think I can get pressurized sometime in next couple of week.
On the light good news is My wife agreed on spending on finned planted 24/7. Based on research looks like it will give good PAR. Any suggestions on finnex?

Thanks. I am trimming hair grass almost weekly. Also on CO2 I think I can get pressurized sometime in next couple of week.
On the light good news is My wife agreed on spending on finned planted 24/7. Based on research looks like it will give good PAR. Any suggestions on finnex?

I'd make sure the depth is right for the finnex. If the par chart seems good tho then go for it. Finnex is a great fixture and used by many on this forum.

Pressurised is a must in a high light environment. If you get the finnex be sure not to have it too high without that 30ppm of co2 or you will get an algae bloom. Also more ferts may be required with your new lighting system :)

Thanks Bert. Let's see how it goes. Convincing wife was a task but looks like a good start :)

Btw your tanks are awesome. So much to learn.

Thanks Bert. Let's see how it goes. Convincing wife was a task but looks like a good start :)

Btw your tanks are awesome. So much to learn.

Thanks mate ;) I'm still learning everyday! The science is pretty intense haha

My finnex arrived today. Awesome.!Looks like money well spent. Here are some picks,IMG_2544.jpgIMG_2543.jpg

One question... how do I calculate I am putting enough CO2 in a tank?

To me that sounds like an iron deficiency, I would recommend buying both seachem trace, and iron. An alternative would be aquarium co-op all in one.

One question... how do I calculate I am putting enough CO2 in a tank?

You need to get a drop checker and 4dkh solution.

You can make the solution yourself with bicarb soda. Just YouTube how to make 4dkh solution. You will need to buy the drop check tho.

You can also get a ruff idea by testing kh and ph and working it out on a co2 chart. (Google ph kh co2 reference)

Make sure you test the ph at the highest point of your co2 (just before co2 or lights turn off)

Your CO2 is not why the plant is turning yellow, that just makes them grow faster.

Thanks. I will try the degas method today.
So far I am using DIY CO2 with citric acid, pressure looks good though as it's DIY, I am doing 2 bps.

Dosing flourish and iron every 2 days.

I will post some fresh pictures today. Also want to show off my new snails :)

Then it is the light you need the odyssey light from eBay topdogsellers, the stock light is not powerful enough for that plant.

Back
Top Bottom