Light for 150 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am willing to take the plunge after Christmas and buy another tank bigger than my 55 gallon that I currently have. Over the 55 I have a coralife fixture at 4X65 Watt and without any fertilization (have some shrimp in there) and 2X2L DIY CO2, everything grows in there like crazy and for some reason I have no algae problems at all.

I will be buying a 150 gallon and was not sure how strong of a light I should be looking at as I would like to be able to grow most plants and I am aware that currently my lighting system is probably more than enough for a 55 gallon. I was looking at the Oddysea Light 72"384 Watt (although people say it is cheap $270.00) or 72" LUNAR AQUALIGHT POWER COMPACT 384 Watt ($339.00-would have to replace 2 of the lightbulbs), or 1 48"Coralife (260 Watt) and 1 36" (190 Watt) which would give me most wattage but would cost the most. I am just not sure what watteage should I be looking at for a 150 so I could grow most plants. I am planning on purchasing a pressurized CO2 system ofcourse.

IF you are willing to do CO2 (probaly pressurized, DIY will probaly be tough on that big of a tank) and dose ferts (do not know how you are getting away with not dosing on the 55 :?)
i would aim for a total of 375-400 watts to grow MOST plants out there

So 380-400 would be fine..that is very good news. As far as dosing for the 55 I never dosed since I started the planted tank because I have 3 amano shrimp and 1 of the bamboo shrimp or the fan shrimp and I have read on some forums that dosing fertilizers could have a negative impact on their health. I do get some small green spots on the glass every week and a half in some places that needs to be scraped off but I have never experienced any green algae on my plants (except for the onion plant leaves as they are on the surface). I only have 4 octos and the shrimp to do the cleaning and that is it. I do weekly water changes at around 20-25%.

Thank you for the good news since going over 400 watts seems to get quite expensive especially for complete fixtures.

Back
Top Bottom