Light Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
My ballast died and I ordered a new one. The problem is it won't get to me until next Friday.

Will I have any problems with just room lighting for the week?

I have a 20W flourescent hood from another tank I can use, if it would make a difference.

It really depends on the size of the tank, how much light you had over it, and the plants that you were keeping in it. If that 20 watt light is at least half of what you were running before and at least low light, then it should be fine to use in the meantime combined with reduced fertilization. If you've been having any problems with algae in the tank, you could use it as an excuse for a blackout while you wait for the new ballast.

It's a 20 gallon. I had 65W and some high light plants like Glosso and R. Macrandra,R. Wallichii, Ludwigia Cuba, Baby Tears...And I have been having problems with Algae.

If I lower my ferts, how much lower? I dose Potassium (25ppm) 3x a week and Flourish (10mL) 3x a week) w/ PWC's 1x a week

What about Co2? I have a pressurized setup w/ a controller aimed for 35-40ppm

Should I do my PWC today?

If you put the 20 watt light on the aquarium, I'd reduce dosing to once a week and you could leave the CO2 on. If you decide to do a blackout then you'd cease dosing and turn off the CO2, with a water change right before and after the blackout.

That really depends on how healthly the plants are to start with and the specific variety of plant.

Purrbox said:
That really depends on how healthly the plants are to start with and the specific variety of plant.

Wallichii, Ambulia, lidwigia Cuba, vals Americana, lidwigia repens, baby tears, anubias nana, R. Macrandra, red lotus, glosso

All in great condition

I would guess that most would make through a 3-5 day blackout with minimal fuss. The more difficult species are more likely to suffer damage the longer it goes.

When you do a black out, is that just no lights or do you need to go as far as wrapping in a black plastic bag?

Back
Top Bottom