Light requirements and ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small 2.5 or 3 gallon freshwater tank that has two live plants in it.

Not sure what the plants are, as they were not labeled when I bought them.

Anyway, is one 13 watt CF light enough for this size tank?

The plants seemed 'shocked' after the first week in their new home. And about half of each one turned brown and died. Now(a month later) they both have fresh growth coming in and whats left of them is nice and healthy.

What else can I do to help them out?

I'm new to aquarium plants.......I assume they need some sort of fertilizers? Or is the fish waste and biological system enough to support them?

What about Co2?

I use just one of the CF up to a 5 gallon tank so you should be fine with most types of plants. It sounds like the plants melted which is normal for some like cyrpts when they are moved. The lower the light the less fertilizers you will have to use. Some of my tanks with just java ferns, java moss and anubia I don't fertilize at all. There are several good fertilizers you can use. CO2 makes the plants grow better but in a 2.5 it is easier to use excel than DIY CO2. Excel isn't recommended for plants like vals, hornwort and anacharis.

I just got back from my local pet store. Tried to find Excel to help the plants out......but they didn't carry it.

So, I ended up getting something called Leaf Zone (made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals).
It is labeled as 'aquarium plant food' and contains soluble potash (K2O) at 3% and iron (Fe) at .1% and .1% Chelated Iron (Fe). Guaranteed analysis 0-0-3

Thoughts/opinions?

Leaf zone is alright, not too bad actually for low light plants. Try it out and see how your results do with it. It would be expensive to use it to fert a larger tank but your size would probably be simple and give decent results. :)
You could also try (IF your plants are root feeders...ie a crypt or vals) a root tab under the gravel.

why not get pics of the plants? really cant say one way or another about them. if they are low light yes they should be fine if not maybe they wont.

Ok

The very first picture is right after the plants were put into the tank.

The second and last pic show how they look now(around three or four weeks later).

Any idea what type of plants these are?

And should I try and trim off the dead stuff? The snails seems to be eating it.

No further damage has befallen the plants and nice new growth is coming in.

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom