Light temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigzmey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an Aquaeon twin tube t8 strip light which came with two 8000K lamps. They give pinkish light which I don't like. What tube temperature should I get to grow plants but also for fish to look nice. Since I have a twin set up I could mix lights if necessary.

Our local pet stores carry Zoo Med tubes (Ultra Sun, Aqua Sun, etc.) and Hagen (Aqua Glo, Power Glo, etc.).

I went through several bulbs last year (tried to go the menards/home depot route) and finally gave in and got Zoo Med Flora Sun Max Plant Growth bulbs, I think they're 5500K. They did wonderful compared to the Tri-color / full spectrum, etc. I would think 8000K would be OK but very bright.

What kind of light Zoo Med Flora Sun Max Plant Growth have? Is it a warm white? Do fish colors look good?

You would think that 8000K should be cold white or blueish white, but they are pinkish, kind of weird.

For plant growth, 5000-10,000K is the range. As for what looks "nice" for fish, I suppose that's relative. Probably something at the lower end of the spectrum. I have 6500K bulbs in my tanks; while I wouldn't describe the light as pinkish at all, it definitely is a very bright white. I think something down around 5000K will be slightly more yellowy, a little more subdued looking.

As for the bulbs, all those names don't really mean much, just look for a K value between 5000-6500K.

I have 10,000k bulbs on my tanks. Gives off a slight blueish tint, and is within the usable spectrum for plants. IMO, it makes the fish pop more than the bulbs in the 6500-8000k range

I have 10,000k bulbs on my tanks. Gives off a slight blueish tint, and is within the usable spectrum for plants. IMO, it makes the fish pop more than the bulbs in the 6500-8000k range

What brand do you use?

Back
Top Bottom