Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My java ferns are doing the best in my 10g Walmart special tank. The lights are just the ones that came with it. They don't really need anything special to grow

What about co2 and ferts, could I just tie the java fern and anubias to driftwood. New to planted tanks!:)

From what I understand about both those, that is over kill
I haven't had plants that long either

I just gave away a bunch of Java Fern that had been in a pickle jar with no light (other than ambient room light)!

Would these to be good???

Attachments

• image-1945452196.jpg
    image-1945452196.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3057509572.jpg
    image-3057509572.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 60
Idk about the tube plants.

The light is a good spectrum for plants, however idk about the quality of ut

A lot of those plants they sell in tubes at petco and petsmart aren't really aquatic plants. If I could see the scientific names on those tubes I could maybe tell you. Now about the bulb, how many watts is it? There's a user on here, I think its Severum mama, who said she grew java ferns in a tank with no more than ambient room lighting. They are hard to kill. How big is your tank?

Looks fine to me for those plants. Like I said, they can grow with very little light. I found some in a cave decoration in my tank.

greenterrortigeroscar said:
Would these to be good???
Those plants look fine. Two of them are Anubias and one is Wisteria. Both are low light plants though the Wisteria does even better under medium lighting. IMO, save the money and go with the small ones instead of the mediums, they will grow up soon enough.

Heres the light bulb box it came with. Is it good?
That bulb looks fine for low light in a ten gallon.

I'm hoping for an outbreak of java ferns and anubia in my tank to make it look more natural, is that good, I planning to tie them to mopani wood, They don't need ferts, right?

I'm hoping for an outbreak of java ferns and anubia in my tank to make it look more natural, is that good, I planning to tie them to mopani wood, They don't need ferts, right?

All plants benefit from some fertilizer but, as long as you maintain a weekly water change schedule to replenish the goodies in your tank water and you have some fish in your tank, those plants should be fine. To see any real growth you may want to dose micros (SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive, Brightwell FlorinMulti, or similar) once a week or so.

I didn't see much result from api but it might be cheaper and it will probably show more result in plants like yours than it did in mine

Which is better API leaf zone or seachem excel/flourish?

Flourish, no contest. Compare the labels.
Excel is not a fertilizer, it is a carbon supplement. Still a good thing to dose but you need to do so daily (or at least every other day) as it has a half-life of about 12 hours.

I'm planning not to get ferts since its not needed but keeping in mind for which I should get, is there anything else I don't know, I'm new to planteds.

Back
Top Bottom