Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adkjoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to replace my standard t8 bulb in my 55 gallon. I only have 2 live plants in there as of right now but plan on getting a few more. Nothing that requires high light levels or anything though. I'm just looking for a suggestion on a good bulb that will make the tank look good and will help promote plant growth. I have a few cichlids and pleco in there now if that makes a difference. Any suggestions for a single t8 bulb? Thanks!

For a single bulb fixture I prefer the look of an 8000K bulb. Make sure the bulb is FULL SPECTRUM. Other than that it is pretty much a personal choice thing if you don't want to get picky about optimal growth rates and such, just stay between 3000K and 10000K. The lower end will look more yellow, the upper end will look more white/blue.

Lighting Upgrade

I need to replace my standard t8 bulb in my 55 gallon. I only have 2 live plants in there as of right now but plan on getting a few more. Nothing that requires high light levels or anything though. I'm just looking for a suggestion on a good bulb that will make the tank look good and will help promote plant growth. I have a few cichlids and pleco in there now if that makes a difference. Any suggestions for a single t8 bulb? Thanks!

Hello ad...

I recently upgraded the lighting in my 55 G tanks to a two light fixture. I now have a couple of 28 watt, T5s. One 10000K and the other 6500K. The combo seems to work well. My low to moderate light plants are doing very well. The floating plants are doing even better. Anacharis and Pennywort are awesome for my "Livebearer" tanks. Lots of places for the females and fry to hide.

B

Back
Top Bottom