Lighting a 65gal. Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickyD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. This will be my first post on this site although I have been reading through this forum for a while now.

So I am in the process of upgrading to a 65 gallon tank. I have my stand almost finished and I am gathering everything else I will need. I want to keep it low tech so no co2. I have mineralized dirt for substrate with probably eco complete (maybe ADA aquasoil if I decide to spend the money). I'm am still deciding on plants but at the moment I have a ton of anubias and some crypts. As far as livestock goes I have some shrimp, kuhli loaches, and a few guppies.

The big question now is what kind of light to get.
I really like how LEDs look and have been looking at the finnex 24/7 or the current sat+ Pro. Does anyone have experience with these lights? The 24/7 seems like it has a lot of light all the time. I like the 24/7 feature but will it be way too much light for a low tech set up? The tank dimensions are 36"L x 18"W x 24"D
( I know I will probably need two lights).
If it is too much light I was thinking of going with the Current sat+ as it still has a built in moonlight but is it worth the money? I don't mind paying extra for quality that will last. Or is there a better option out there I have missed? I have also toyed with the idea of wiring a finnex planted plus to a dimmer and a two timers so I can get the nice red LEDs it has.

Anyway, I'm stuck. Can't really decide. And at this point maybe I am overthinking it too.

Ric...

I keep tanks that are roughly the size you're talking about and hang a four fixture shop light above each of the tanks. I use florescent, T8, 6500K, 32 watt bulbs. This seems fine for undemanding plants, like Water lettuce, Anubias, Water sprite, Hornwort, Anacharis, Java fern and some Duckweed. I also emerse Chinese evergreen in the tanks for added natural filtration. The cost per fixture and bulbs is roughly $50.00 and the bulbs will last well over a year before I need to replace them.

B

I have two current sat 48" on my 75 gallon planted tank
I like there very low profile
It has a lot of features with different lighting and a remote but I never use them
I just have them on full spectrum and a timer
I would definitely recommend them

Back
Top Bottom