Lighting advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just set up my 60 gallon planted tank (my first planted) I need to replace the bulbs (fluorescent) do I really need to buy the expensive ones at the lfs or will ones I buy at a hardware store be the same? They seem o be a fraction of the price. Also what wattage is the best for a planted tank?

I just set up my 60 gallon planted tank (my first planted) I need to replace the bulbs (fluorescent) do I really need to buy the expensive ones at the lfs or will ones I buy at a hardware store be the same? They seem o be a fraction of the price. Also what wattage is the best for a planted tank?

Walmart actually sells a fluorescent made by GE that is specifically for planted aquariums. It's around the other fluorescent replacements (in my Walmart anyway), and they are pretty affordable. Another route to consider, is going with an open top tank (no hood) water evaporates quicker of course. I have an open top 55g and I love it. I have clip on desk lamps and use cfl's that I bought at Walmart. There's a picture of my tank on my profile if you want to look at it. If you want more info on how mine is setup, just ask!

Back
Top Bottom