Lighting advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been doing a lot of research on plants and lighting, but I'm still very confused about a couple things, so please help.

I have a 75 gal freshwater tank which I'm restarting after my columnaris disaster (lost all 14 fish over 4 days, it was devastating).

Anyway, I had fake plants before but now I want to have live plants, but in a low light, low maintenace setup. The lighting I have now is just a regular 40W Sun Glo fluorescent.

questions:
1. Is that enough light for low light plants?
2. Can I put a higher output fluorescent bulb in the same fitting, or are they limited in wattage like incandescent lamps are?

Ideas and suggestions all welcome. Thanks!

Most bulbs of the same type and length are the same wattage, so you cant just swap bulbs. Actually incandescent you normally can

I'm not sure if thats enough light to grow anything, its sure recommended to have more

Unfortunately with only 40 watts over a 75 gallon you're looking at very low light. About all you'll have a chance of growing is Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and Crypts. If you could upgrade your fixture or add a second one it would open up your options.

Back
Top Bottom