Lighting Advice, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am thinking about upgrading the lighting on my 55 gallon tank with some of my tax money (yay!). It does not have many live plants in it at the moment, but I would like to go all planted eventually. Either that, or I will change it over to a saltwater FOWLR.

I will be ordering from fishneedit.com since so many people here have said great things about them.

I know I need 2 24" fixtures.... Will the 1 blue/1 white bulb at 6500K work for a planted tank? Or would you guys suggest I go with different bulbs/ different K rating?

Your Lighting Question

I am thinking about upgrading the lighting on my 55 gallon tank with some of my tax money (yay!). It does not have many live plants in it at the moment, but I would like to go all planted eventually. Either that, or I will change it over to a saltwater FOWLR.

I will be ordering from fishneedit.com since so many people here have said great things about them.

I know I need 2 24" fixtures.... Will the 1 blue/1 white bulb at 6500K work for a planted tank? Or would you guys suggest I go with different bulbs/ different K rating?

Hello Tal...

Ideally, you want 6500 K bulbs. These are recommended for planted tanks, because they come closest to natural daylight at 5500 K. 100 total watts for your 55 G will grow most of the aquatic plants on the market.

Don't neglect two other items for good plant growth: Good fertilizers from either the fish or a commercial source in dry, liquid or granules. And, large weekly water changes to keep a high level of minerals in the water.

B

Hello Tal...

Ideally, you want 6500 K bulbs. These are recommended for planted tanks, because they come closest to natural daylight at 5500 K. 100 total watts for your 55 G will grow most of the aquatic plants on the market.

Don't neglect two other items for good plant growth: Good fertilizers from either the fish or a commercial source in dry, liquid or granules. And, large weekly water changes to keep a high level of minerals in the water.

B

Thanks for the quick reply. I already have a 46 gallon planted, so I know some of the basics... The plants in that tank are very low maintenance, though.

I have eco complete mixed in with the sand in my 55 gallon in a 50/50 ratio. I have both Flourish and Flourish excel, and I do, usually, a 50% water change every week. If I dont manage to do it every week, its about a 75% every two weeks.

Thanks for the quick reply. I already have a 46 gallon planted, so I know some of the basics... The plants in that tank are very low maintenance, though.

I have eco complete mixed in with the sand in my 55 gallon in a 50/50 ratio. I have both Flourish and Flourish excel, and I do, usually, a 50% water change every week. If I dont manage to do it every week, its about a 75% every two weeks.

Hello Tal...

I'd take care with the Flourish Excel. It has a trace of "Gluteraldehyde". This form of carbon can be harmful to some ferns, mosses and Vallisneria. Maybe you already know this.

B

Hello Tal...

I'd take care with the Flourish Excel. It has a trace of "Gluteraldehyde". This form of carbon can be harmful to some ferns, mosses and Vallisneria. Maybe you already know this.

B

Yup, thanks though. I underdose my tank and keep an eye out for any "melting" spots on my ferns and vals. They seem to be doing pretty well, atm.

You might want to consider going topless and running a single 48" fixture instead of 2 24"s, would be cheaper anyway. I don't have any personal experience with the FNI fixtures, but they seem to be pretty good.

You might want to consider going topless and running a single 48" fixture instead of 2 24"s, would be cheaper anyway. I don't have any personal experience with the FNI fixtures, but they seem to be pretty good.

Haha, yeah... For some reason that never occrued to me. Its like... I have 2 24 fixtures now, and I should get 2 24 inch fixtures with the T5HO's....

Mfdrookie pointed this out in another thread to me, and I felt dumb. It was a lot cheaper that way!

But I still love all of you guys... You have yet to steer me wrong!

Back
Top Bottom