Lighting for 20g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southpaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I assume I should go with t5ho over just t5. I am curious what type of bulbs and how many/fixture etc..Thanks!!

I just asked this and got some great answers. Is it a standard 20 gallon or 20g long? Will you be using co2? I hadn't decided on co2 so I went with a dual t5NO by aqueon bought at petsmart and I absolutely love it, t5HO will be too much light for a 20 without co2 injection, but I could be wrong

Zimmanski said:
I just asked this and got some great answers. Is it a standard 20 gallon or 20g long? Will you be using co2? I hadn't decided on co2 so I went with a dual t5NO by aqueon bought at petsmart and I absolutely love it, t5HO will be too much light for a 20 without co2 injection, but I could be wrong

I totally agree. For a 20 T5NO light is plenty. Even 2 T8s would be great for medium light plants.

The aqueon dual t5 is probably your best bet, tons of usable light, you can switch out bulbs for plant growth or daylight/colormax, and if the dual t5no is too much you can always remove one bulb and just run the dual fixture with a single bulb

Will I be able to grow and ground cover with medium life? Like dwarf hair grass?

It is a stock 20 gallon, that I may implement a DIY co2 system.

Southpaw said:
Will I be able to grow and ground cover with medium life? Like dwarf hair grass?

It is a stock 20 gallon, that I may implement a DIY co2 system.

I'm not sure if you would or not, but I do believe the aqueon dual t5no comes in a 24in which I think is the length of your tank. If you know you're going to implement co2 then I would say invest in a t5HO because you'll get the best results with HO and CO2, which can easily grow ground cover.

Very true Aqua. Okay great thank you guys, excited to go shopping this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom