Lighting for 40 gallon breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

segrayson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will soon be setting up a 40 gallon breeder and I have a question about lighting. I have found two different lighting fixtures that I am trying to choose between. I plant to use lots of driftwood with plants like java fern, anubias nana, and java moss attached (for easier tank maintenance). I may try a few swords and other fast growing plants in the substrate as well. The lighting options are as follows: both are manufactured by Odyssea. One supports 4x 39W T5 bulbs (156 total watts) and the other supports 2x 39W T5 bulbs (78 total watts). Both are reasonably priced. Opinions? Alternatives? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Sarah

Another question I forgot to ask...will an AquaClear 70 supply enough filtration? I have a brand new one sitting in my 'fish box' and I'd prefer to use it if it will work!

At this point I am only planning on the 'beginner' type plants for now since I will be using a sand substrate for cories and kuhli loaches. I would like to add some other plants that require more care at some point. I am worried about being able to grow them in the sand though and since I have to buy lighting anyway, I want to get something that I can use down the line. Do you have any suggestions for good plants that can be grown in sand? Am I way over thinking this? I am only in the planning stages at this point, and all I actually have is the tank and a filter.

Back
Top Bottom