Lighting for a 55g planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vince.4395

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want a heavily planted tank and my 55g comes with two hoods that fit 18" bulbs and all the 18" bulbs I can find are 15 watts. So combined that's only 30 watts for a 55g tank. From what I heard your supposed to have at least 2 watts per gallon. Any suggestions on what to do?? Thank you

You can go a few different ways depending on your budget. You can go with a simple T-8 twin tube light, or a twin tube T-5 NO light. Those will probably be the least expensive options. From there it goes to LED, or multiple tube HO lighting. One other option is a shoplight fixture with twin bulbs. If your tank is not a show tank, the shoplight might be the cheapest option. What ever light you choose, be sure to use it over a glass canopy.

I had the same problem with my 55 gallon a year or two ago when I first got it. Of course I tried to see is the "max plant" t-8 bulbs would work but no, so I took off the hood and lights entirely and went on amazon and bought a dual t-5 ho fixture for $70! I can grow most of the plants I want with my fert regimen and co2 injection. But even before I started doing that I grew a lot of plants. I recommend you go this way or you will be very unhappy with all of the dying plants.

LED of course. More energy efficient. Dimmable (some). Less heat. No bulb replacement.

Back
Top Bottom