Lighting for a Planted 5.5 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinAldrich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a 5.5 gallon tank that I intend to plant. My question is that I am having difficulty finding a good lighting system to fit a 16" wide tank.

Do you have any recommendations for a 16" wide lighting system that would be good for a planted tank? The tank is 16x10x8 (WxHxD).

I would like to go with a dual T5 flourescent system if there is such a thing available. I am willing to use something other than T5 though.

My local fish store has a single 8W T5 system, but I was looking for something more...What do those of you with planted 5.5G tanks use for lighting?

Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated. I have just about exhausted myself searching through Google and aquarium supply sites. Just seems like there has to be something more available for a 5.5G than the single bulb T5 system my local store has.

I'm using a 2x 18 watt Coralife fixture. It's Compact Fluorescent and only 12" wide, but the legs can be used to just barely straddle the aquarium width. I ended up building a custom stand for the fixture using 1/2" PVC because I didn't like the legs. I'd say the aquarium acts like it somewhere between medium and medium high light with this fixture. It's definately a very difficult aquarium to find a good light.

if you are at all mechanically or diy inclined i'd say build one yourself. that way you can get exactly what you want. i'm working on one for a future planted shrimp 5.5 gal tank that will have two 26 watt compact fluorescents in it. should be able to grow a good carpeting plant.

Back
Top Bottom