Lighting help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pitbullfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I've been narrowing down my research and I think I'd like to go with medium light plants. But I heard the wpg rule doesn't work for bigger tanks. I'm getting a 75 gallon tank. What kind of wattage do I need? What kind of bulbs should I use? Also, I'd like to cover the substrate with a short plant like a lawn. (Not nessisarily grass shape, just something that will sread out like that.) Any suggestions about what plant would work? Where do you all get your plants?

2 or 3 t5 ho 6500k would be sufficient I would think, and there's many carpet plants that do well in medium lighting.
Do you plan on dosing ferts and a source of co2?

You'll probably want either a 3x or 4x T5HO fixture, assuming you don't get a high end one. If you're looking to carpet, you should look into CO2 as well.

For the record, WPG doesn't work particularly well on any size of tank.

AC is also right, in some tanks it won't carpet very well...my tank however makes a nice little carpet of it if left alone long enough to spread well. If what you mean by that is the look of it, it is a more broad and grassy plant. Most carpet plants looks soft and compact.

My tank is 75g, pressurized Co2, ferts, 4x T5HO. Even with brand new 6500K (or 5000K florasun) bulbs I cannot keep HC (baby tears). Pretty much the only plant I can't keep alive however. So maybe they just don't like me.

PS: I also run 84F water and I've never checked their temp range until now (68-82F). So I guess I can't actually give you any meaningful advise. haha!

I'll be using metricide 14 instead of pressurized co2. I will also use eco complete substrate and dry fertilizers. And a big thanks to Rivercars for suggesting those things. After further research I really believe that'll work best for me.

Me too! Though it will be a while. I can only buy a little bit a week, so it'll be a few months before I can really get started, but I think it'll be worth the wait! Of course, if I get that job painting a mural in a local cave museum, the money from that will probably cover it nicely!

Back
Top Bottom