Lighting - how much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NASCAR_Dave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just posted this in DIY but wanted to get some responses to this here as this is my first aquarium.

In a nutshell, I plan to have Peacock Cichlids in my 135g tank with a few (10-15) live plants. How much lighting should I buy? I want to order from AHSupply but I don't want to get too much or too little. TIA for the help!

Not sure the length of your tank. If its how I imagine most tanks of that size to be (With two center braces) and the length is right, I'd consider 3 55 kits.. Or maybe 2 or 3 96watt kits. The 55 watt kits are made so that on a 48" tank, each light will fit over one of the two (three in your case?) open spaces. They 22" long. I believe the 96 watt kits are just under 35".

I've got a 4x55 watt on my 90 gallon. 110 watts on each side. It was a rather interesting hour putting it together, but it looks great.

Not sure the length of your tank.

Thanks, ferret. The tank is 72-1/2" long and has a wide glass plate in the middle, but other than that it is one long section. I would like to get two 36" lights or three 22" lights but I don't want to blind the fish (or my wife)!

Some of these people run 300-400 watts. I'd consider either 3 1x55 kits or a 6x55 if you want to go all out.

Back
Top Bottom