lighting issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to run a light by some of you to get an idea if I have the right combination. My lighting fixture came with two 54 watt T5 bulbs which is a bit too much for my 55g tank. I'm trying to avoid a CO2 requirement. I'm trying to run one T5 bulb and find something weaker for my second bulb.

The shop I like to frequent doesnt have many light options. The closest thing I could find is a 36 watt Tropic Sun bulb from Zoo Med that's in the 5500 K range. Does anyone know anything about this brand? I'm trying to find out if it puts out 36 watts, or if its super efficient and puts out more like the T5.

I would just go with the 1 bulb for now, until you decide you want to start CO2. If you put in a bulb like a 5500K, it could lead to some bad algae.

The other option is, you could put in an actinic bulb. These bulbs are for reef tanks... it would give your tank a nice deep blue color, and not add so much extra wattage that you will have to worry about a lot of excess algae.

BTW, I just packed your plants up. I don't think I could get 1 more plant in that box, should be around 30 plants or so in there, plus a huge piece of java moss. It should be there Wednesday at the latest.

Thanks Fort, I can't wait!
I planned on just running one bulb initially but my fixture won't let that happen. I had my hands on an actinic bulb at the store, but the box said it helped grow some sort of beneficial salt water algae and that made me nervous. I'll give it a shot though. Now I have to decide if I want to combine it with my 6.7k T5 or my 10k T5. The 10k would probably make more sense. If i mixed the red and the blue it could give me a freaky purple twinge?

Hee hee. Nothing is ever easy is it? I bought a Coral Sun actinic bulb from the zoo med folks but the bulb is too wide and several inches too long for my 48 inch fixture. I suppose my Nova Extreme was built soley for the Current USA T5 bulbs. I'll order an actinic t5 from them, but right now they are out of stock.

If I run both my plant friendly 54w T5 bulbs for only a few hours a day, do you think that will keep the plants healthy without forcing them to draw too many nutrients? Sorry for all these questions. Everything I do seems to add to an extra problem.

You will need more than a few hours a day. I would shoot for 5-6 until you can get the actinic in, then increase to maybe 8-9. Still consider CO2, if you find you are liking the fw plants after a few weeks. IT is amazing what CO2 does for a planted tank.

My Current USA satellite light I have now (and I had a 48" one on my reef) works great for plants. It also has the half 10,000k / actinic bulb for pretty cheap. The look is not freaky on a planted.... I acually love the look and the lunar light at night looks awesome with planted.

I found a t5 actinic bulb finally. The intense "blueness" of it is a little off putting for me only because I want a planted amazon tank and pictured it being a little on the yellow side. I almost wish I didnt wash all the tannins out of the driftwood now. Its very pretty, just odd. I'll get used to it though :).

So to recap, I have a 54 watt 10k T5 bulb and a actinic T5 in my 55. Could anyone venture a guess as to whether this is low light or if I can do medium plants as well? I was estimating that is around 1.75 wpg, but I also dont know what I'm talkin about!

Back
Top Bottom