Lighting opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abrams96

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's about time for me to replace the bulbs on my T5 Ho fixture. My tank is dirted and I don't dose or use c02. I currently run a 6500k and 5000k zoomed bulbs in it and was wondering if anyone would recommend anything different. I have good growth with what I use but was just curious of others opinions. Thanks.

180 Gallon Tropical Community Tank

90 Gallon NA Native Stream Tank

Look at the finnex planted plus and 24/7

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would continue to use the same type you are using if you are happy with your setup. I have not purchased fluorescent bulbs in some time so I don't know if their availability has changed (with the appearance of LED fixtures on the market).

I would continue to use the same type you are using if you are happy with your setup. I have not purchased fluorescent bulbs in some time so I don't know if their availability has changed (with the appearance of LED fixtures on the market).

I might just replace with the same but was curious if someone had some better options.

I'd keep the 6500k for sure. You can try a different temperature in the 7000-8000k range for a different a look. May not make a big difference in plant growth but it might in the way YOU perceive the colors (cool, warm).

If I go to a higher K value without dosing ferts or running c02 am I gonna run into algae issues?

I have the 2 dual t5 ho and i use 3 6700k and one colormax. My colormax went out recently so i replaced it with the 10000k. To put it simple i use one bulb to balance the yellowish hue i get from the 6700k. Colormax give a really nice HD hue and the 10000k gives me a more white look. It takes some experimenting.

3 6700k with colormax
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451863444.530305.jpg

3 6700k with 1 10000k
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451863476.596620.jpg

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

When I had my high-tech setup, I found that the combination of the Super Flora Giesemann POWERCHROME T5 bulb from CoralVue and the Tropic Giesemann POWERCHROME T5 bulb from CoralVue were good. It sounds like you run a low tech setup, but if those two bulbs that you mentioned work with your setup, the two that I listed could be a possible option. In the end, it's just personal preference with these bulbs.

According to the article below, my interpretation is that the k value will not influence algae growth: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/38014-lighting-spectrum-photosythesis.html
What brand of fixture and what is the size of the tank?

I just have the cheap odyssea dual t5 Ho and I also have a single bulb t5ho fixture that comes on a couple hours a day around noon. So in theory I currently run 2 6500k and 1 5000k bulbs, and it's a 180 gallon.

When I had my high-tech setup, I found that the combination of the Super Flora Giesemann POWERCHROME T5 bulb from CoralVue and the Tropic Giesemann POWERCHROME T5 bulb from CoralVue were good. It sounds like you run a low tech setup, but if those two bulbs that you mentioned work with your setup, the two that I listed could be a possible option. In the end, it's just personal preference with these bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone

Yes I run low tech. I have heard very good things about the giesemanns and have spent some time looking for some but have not found any that are HO, only t5no

In this link is a chart listing the PAR values of various fluorescent and LED light fixtures: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/184368-lighting-aquarium-par-instead-watts.html
The depth of a 180g tank is 25 5/8". According to the chart, the PAR value at minimum is around 40 for the Odyssea which falls into the lower end of medium light (assuming 30-80 is medium). Not sure how much the single T5HO adds, maybe 10.

Thanks, I've read that article before. Unfortunately it only lists the 36" model and you can see with other examples that the longer fixtures have increased par ratings. So that being said I'm sure I'm above what's listed on the chart.

Also it's saying I should be using c02 with that much light. I have a jug of excel that I used to use on a daily basis. I noticed zero difference when using it so I decided to stop wasting money on it. .

If you decide to use a (non-gas) carbon source, get a gallon of Metricide 14. About $20 something on Amazon. It has the same active ingredient as Excel and API CO2 Booster but twice as concentrated and much more economical.

I'm trying to stay away from any of it to be honest. What would you think about getting 2 6500k bulbs for the dual (doing away with the 5000k) and removing the single bulb fixture?

Can we see a picture of your tank? Or a list of plants and fish please. I'm interested in how you maintain good growth with a lack of carbon.

Sorry it's slightly off topic.

Flora
Amazon swords
Water sprite
Hygrophilla
Narrow leaf chain sword
Java fern
Jungle val
Anubias
2 or 3 others I can't think of off hand

Fauna