Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Lighting Options

My dad and I have a 29g setup, and right now it is just running the original hood with a 22w NO fluorescent bulb. Right now we have decorative plants, but I'm looking at adding in some live stuff. I'll have to change my lighting setup in order to do so though.

Right now I'm looking at a 30" twin tube NO fluorescent setup for 40 bucks from foster and smith. The fixture comes with 2-17w NO fluorescent bulbs, which would set me up at just over 1wpg.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113349

The other option I'm looking at is going with a 24" CF fixture for about 50 bucks from foster and smith. It would put out 65 watts(just over 2wpg in my tank), but I'm not sure if it would look goofy sitting on top of my tank.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113345

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would go with the 65w since its only 10 bucks more. but u could also do diy lighting. use this link it helped me with my diy.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...738&highlight=

Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

All I will say on this, as I am learnig all this as I go as well, is that the first option you mentioned doesnt leave you many options as far as plants are concerned. 1wpg is pretty low and few plants will do well in it. However, it seems some folks have proved that theory wrong. But it's rare.

The 2+wpg will definately open up your options on plants.

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Hmm...thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to go with the CF fixture and I think I'm going to build my own top for the tank

https://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com