Lighting - Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MINIMAL

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just upgraded to a 120g 48 x 24 tank. I never achived pearling on anything in the 55, and had trouble with carpeting plants dying, like DBT which I propogate in my 20g long.

The only tank I have achieved pearling in was a 20g long, with believe it or not, a T8 dual tube shop light from WalMart that cost me $18 includng bulbs.

Before anybody asks, my ferts have been in line and i have used both liquid and dry. I have tried sand, gravel, turface, eco complete, mixing these, etc.

Currently on the 120g I have a T5HO with 2ea 6500k, 1ea 10000k, and 1ea 650nm pink. Along with a T8 dual tube shop light with 6500k bulbs. (which was just added 3 days ago and has increased the growth rate of the cabomba only) I have tried every combination of on/off times, with and without breaks, etc, still have same results.:banghead:

I do have injected co2 and have tried every chart and suggestion known. I have ran it high enough to have fish gasping, all the way to off and there is no change. I do not think the lighting is working or something because it is like the co2 is not being exchanged. I have discus as well so I check the water all the time. 8 hours of no co2 gave me a ph of 7.4 and a KH of 6. So I got everything dialed in to where I should have had a co2 ppm of 30ish and still nothing, except some BBA and diatoms. I only do a 20% WC once a week now, but I used to do it daily, same results. When I say I have tried everything, believe me I have. Even when I had the 55g I tried those crappy beamswork leds with the t5ho and still was in the same position. I will do my best below to list what all plants I have below, but I have more than what I remember I am sure. Oh and co2 is ran through a diffuser that then gets hit by the canister return flow, and a powerhead runs at night to stir up any left overs so that they do not hit water column during lighting to avoid an algae bloom.

I guess what I am wondering is, should I give a marineland led, or finnex fugeray planted+ a try, and how many of each or in combination with what? Or do a MH/T5HO ballast? I am looking to save coin as well, so do not suggest something like a $1500 led ballast that I need 4 of haha.

Current Substrate - Eco Complete, with black diamond sand.

Dwarf Hairgrass
Dwarf 4 Leaf Clover
Dwarf Baby Tears
Marselia Minuta
Cabomba Furcata
Green Cabomba
Vesuvius
Water Sprite
Anacharis (wild)
Ludwiga
Java Moss
Flame Moss
Fissidens Fontalius
Java Fern
Multiple Crypts
Swords
Rotala Wallichi
Mayaca
Bacopa
and like 12 others I cannot think of...

my 75g I ran only 2x t5hos and had pearling. I think your balance is off, What do you do for fertz? Carpet plants need a good balance between fetz, light, co2

I have tried the whole flourish line including tabs... then dry ferts and osmocoat tabs, all to directions and estimative indexes. I honestly think there isn't enough lighting and that is why co2 I'd not being used and that's why my fish are gasping....yet I get bba even if I remove nutrients from the bba triangle of death lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom