Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lighting query

Okay, I went shopping for lights this weekend and from what I've seen available, I'm looking at buying Aquatic - Products. It's a 24", 24w, single bulb T5HO fixture.

My tank is 24" by 12" and 14.5" high. This works out to just over 17g or 66l.

According to the sticky on lights that would be a med light tank, which is kinda what I was looking for; something on the cusp of needing CO≤ and ferts, but able grow a decent tank without them.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or warnings?

Also, I forgot to ask at the store, does anyone know if the two bulb fixture requires two bulbs, or can you run it with just one? The two bulb 24" fixture is not much more then the single model, and I like the idea of being able to easily add more grow light, or even adding a light for better viewing colours. (light blacklight or whatever).

Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Those fixtures are entirely too expensive IMO. You can get a 2x24w T5HO from fishneedit.com for $65. If you're not going to be running co2, then you'd only want one daylight bulb. If you went with a 2 bulb fixture, I would get 1 daylight (somewhere between 6500k and 10,000k) and one actinic. The actinic would give the tank a nice blue glow and really bring out the colors in the fish. Most 2 bulb fixtures have to have 2 bulbs in them unless they have individual ballasts

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't want to run CO≤ for now, but I want to leave my options open for higher light plants in the future, and have no problem setting up a small DIY system if needed.

The shipping to Canada from that website is about 30$. Considering I can get 10-15% off for a bulk purchase of new equipment the "Glo" light fixture is price competitive.

That being said, I'm going to Vancouver next weekend, and I plan on doing some shopping. I'm hoping I'll find better selection and prices.
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com