Lighting query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deep Seven

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I went shopping for lights this weekend and from what I've seen available, I'm looking at buying Aquatic - Products. It's a 24", 24w, single bulb T5HO fixture.

My tank is 24" by 12" and 14.5" high. This works out to just over 17g or 66l.

According to the sticky on lights that would be a med light tank, which is kinda what I was looking for; something on the cusp of needing CO² and ferts, but able grow a decent tank without them.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or warnings?

Also, I forgot to ask at the store, does anyone know if the two bulb fixture requires two bulbs, or can you run it with just one? The two bulb 24" fixture is not much more then the single model, and I like the idea of being able to easily add more grow light, or even adding a light for better viewing colours. (light blacklight or whatever).

Those fixtures are entirely too expensive IMO. You can get a 2x24w T5HO from fishneedit.com for $65. If you're not going to be running co2, then you'd only want one daylight bulb. If you went with a 2 bulb fixture, I would get 1 daylight (somewhere between 6500k and 10,000k) and one actinic. The actinic would give the tank a nice blue glow and really bring out the colors in the fish. Most 2 bulb fixtures have to have 2 bulbs in them unless they have individual ballasts

I don't want to run CO² for now, but I want to leave my options open for higher light plants in the future, and have no problem setting up a small DIY system if needed.

The shipping to Canada from that website is about 30$. Considering I can get 10-15% off for a bulk purchase of new equipment the "Glo" light fixture is price competitive.

That being said, I'm going to Vancouver next weekend, and I plan on doing some shopping. I'm hoping I'll find better selection and prices.

Back
Top Bottom