Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

straick

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can you run too much light for a given tank size? I know you can run too low of a light for a given tank for the plants(learned it the hard way), but not sure on the too much side.
Also, where would a 36 watt 6700k PL over a 10 gallon put me on lighting levels? Medium(guessing)?
Thanks in advance everyone.

Can you run too much light for a given tank size? I know you can run too low of a light for a given tank for the plants(learned it the hard way), but not sure on the too much side.
Also, where would a 36 watt 6700k PL over a 10 gallon put me on lighting levels? Medium(guessing)?
Thanks in advance everyone.

36w on a 10g puts you solidly in the high light level and the need for ferts, co2, etc IMO/E.

prrreeeeettyyyy sure i already answered this question, lol. i would debate that it could be considered medium, but definitely on the high end of medium (if they were T5-HO bulbs that would DEF be high light). either way, with that much light and no CO2 or ferts, you're begging for an algae outbreak.

prrreeeeettyyyy sure i already answered this question, lol. i would debate that it could be considered medium, but definitely on the high end of medium (if they were T5-HO bulbs that would DEF be high light). either way, with that much light and no CO2 or ferts, you're begging for an algae outbreak.

For a 10g tank? The wpg rule doesn't even count and that kind of lighting for that small a tank is huge. I'm sure fort and/or rookie will weight in lol.

ok so i didn't realize it was PL lighting. yeah, that's high light. you're def gonna want CO2 and ferts.

i would only call it too much light if you are not willing to do CO2 and ferts. the algae will out compete with your plants for nutrients, causing algae to take over your tank and plants to suffer.

You did Mommytron. I didn't expect anyone to tell me the lighting level in the beginner area.
Now to get the stuff for fertilizer, and not just the predone liquids.

can't remember if i linked you to this yet, but Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home is where a couple of other members get their ferts and have recommended i get some there as well. The main ones you want are MKP, KNO3, K2SO4, and Plantex CSM + B. You can also get MgSO4, but it's not always necessary.

Back
Top Bottom