Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bschowa

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im Starting a new 20 gallon high planted tank and iv got baby tears, riccia, and some swords. i run presurized co2 and dry ferts but i was wondering if my lighting was okay.

i will buy a t5HO fixture eventually but for now i just have 4 6500k Daylight CFL bulbs on it. They are 15w bulbs but replace 60 watts. which wattage does someone go with on CFL bulbs?

Always the smaller one.

Heres the thing: you only really need medium light to grow most plants. If you have that (and it sounds like you should) then you should be fine, especially if its just temporary.

Even with HC and Riccia? i have read you need high light and co2 to grow them with success. i know that WPG is highly outdated and i have the chart that was floating around but CFLs are not on there so i would be running 3wpg that have to penetrate id say 14" of water since i have 2" of substrate

that seems kind of low but maybe thats just me over thinking it?

when i say temp its more like 3 months than 1 week

I grew HC with CFLs under 18 inches of water just fine.

Is your riccia floating or tied down? If it's floating it should be okay.

If it's tied down and starts to do poorly, you can always let it loose and remesh or tie down when you can upgrade.

thanks! its tied down right now, i upgraded to 4 26W bulbs for now and it seems to be doing pretty good, it pearls occasionally but not for long, still getting the hang of the co2 on this tank

but im glad to know that i can grow it for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom