Lighting question- Marineland reef capable LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want a FW low/med planted tank. I received the reef capable led as a gift. Can cover the blue actinic bulbs and just use the white 10,000k bulbs without harming the fixture?

Why cover the blue LEDs? They won't hurt anything. The reef fixture will probably put you in the medium to med-high range.

Actinic will do nothing but add some nice blue to the tank. Not quite sure how it would look over a planted tank, but actinics look great on african cichlid tanks! I would think a reef capable light would be more like high light for plants. My bet is that co2 is going to be a valuable addition to the tank.

I've read that actinic lights contribute to algae growth since they thrive on that light. Plants only grow with specific wavelengths of light so there is a chance that all you will need os the white lights. He blue will be unecessary and contribute to excessive algae growth. If I were you id try to figure out the spectrum of the less in the system.

I don't think you will see hardly any change at all in algae growth using the actinics vs. not using them. I have run actinics before over planted tanks (just because it looks nice).

Back
Top Bottom