Lighting questions (sorry!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up a 75 gallon planted tank. Looking to do low tech, no CO set up. All my (limited) experience with planted tanks is with nanos so I have no idea what to do for lighting on a tank this size. Any suggestions, preferably ones that won’t break the bank?

You could check out the florescent lights at Wal Mart I'll see if I can find a link but the cost is really cheap it comes with chains to hang from the ceiling which means you can raise it or lower it

I like the fluval aquasky lights for low tech set ups. Both the medium and longer one should fit a 48" tank. The longer one would be better though if it fits.

They are programmable via the app and bluetooth connection, give out enough light for low tech set ups, have a good colour temperature and should last years and years. LEDs are energy efficient, so even though they might be more expensive than fluorescents at start up, will deliver cost savings over its lifetime.

I like the fluval aquasky lights for low tech set ups. Both the medium and longer one should fit a 48" tank. The longer one would be better though if it fits.

They are programmable via the app and bluetooth connection, give out enough light for low tech set ups, have a good colour temperature and should last years and years. LEDs are energy efficient, so even though they might be more expensive than fluorescents at start up, will deliver cost savings over its lifetime.

Any idea how that compares with the “Plant Spectrum” light that they offer? I saw that on the web page while looking at the one you suggested.

Any idea how that compares with the “Plant Spectrum” light that they offer? I saw that on the web page while looking at the one you suggested.
Basically the plant fixture is better for plants and would be more appropriate for medium/high demand plants.

Plant has more LEDs for the same size fixture giving more light output. The colour spectrum is focused on the optimum for plant growth.

Aquasky has a broader colour spectrum which you might prefer visually, and is cheaper. Lower wattage so also cheaper to run.

If you are planning on low tech, low demand plants i would go for the aquasky from the two. If you might want to get some higher demand plants then the plant fixture is an upgrade.

I am setting up a 75 gallon planted tank. Looking to do low tech, no CO set up. All my (limited) experience with planted tanks is with nanos so I have no idea what to do for lighting on a tank this size. Any suggestions, preferably ones that won’t break the bank?

Nicrew Sky+ LED fixtures are a very good value and offer the full-spectrum light that plants like.

A full-width (48" in your case) light of the above offers moderate lighting in a tank of your depth. That said multiple shorter lamps offer more versatility and the ability to concentrate light in specific areas of the tank.

If you use a lighted bubble wall (great for aeration/circulation) know that the bubbles diffuse light significantly and you really need a dedicated fixture installed directly above. In this case a lower wattage for the same length fixture (also full-spectrum) of full or nearly so width works great and with a couple 18" - 24" Sky+ or similar you have many lighting options.

Determining how long to keep the lighting on is critical and essentially trial-and-error. 10-12 hours per day is usually good. Some suggest turning off the lighting for an hour or so in mid-afternoon to allow CO2 replenishment.

Here's an ideal outlet strip for aquarium use. It even has battery backup so a power interruption doesn't loose the programming.
https://www.amazon.com/BN-LINK-Outlet-Protector-Digital-Outlets/dp/B07VMNSFJ8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=timed+outlet+strip&qid=1624650092&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFONUxKTVpMN1dCSFImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MDQ2MDEzTkVQNDlMVEQxM0dRJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2NDkyNTQyOEVFUUdTMkpHOUY3JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Back
Top Bottom