Lighting recommendation for 47 Gallon Tall tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackwood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just picked up a used 47 gallon 'tall' tank that I'm trying to figure out lighting on. It's 36" wide, 12" deep, and 24" tall.

I plan on setting this up as a community fish planted tank and using PC lighting. Given the difference in lumen output between NO and PC lighting, how many watts would be ideal for 'midrange' lighting on this? I'm not going to use any 'High light' requirement plants, so I'm not sure how much lighting I need to get.

I have a 96watt PC bulb from my 125gallon tank that's 3000 miles away, but I think that'd be too much light for this tank.

Given the depth (24") of the tank, would a 55watt PC light be a good midrange light output setup for this tank? Or would 96 watt be better?

I originally had 4 96 watt lights in my 125 gallon but that proved to be too much light. Just 2 of the bulbs running worked out very well. Seeing that this tank is less than 1/2 the volume, would 96 watts overpower it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've been away from tanks for a couple years and am just getting back into it with a small tank for now. Until I can get my 125 gallon shipped back to me that is.

Thanks,

Blackwood

try it it should be fine. my 125 has 2x96w and 55wx2 ahsupply lighting no problem. i think 96w over the 47 should be ok. shipping a tank 3000 miles is painful. might be better just to sell it and buy another one local.

Back
Top Bottom