Lighting requirements.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuckerp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me what the cheapest lighting system for growing your basic anubias, java ferns and similar low light plants would be? I have the standard 20w fixtures that came stock with the tank and I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not they will suffice for growing plants. I'd like to see growth on the plants rather than just maintaining them for a period of time before they die.

Are compact florescent bulbs they way to go? I'm on a budget and can't afford to invest a lot of money.

It's a 55g. It has two separate fixtures. On closer inspection the tubes i currently have are "power-glo" 15w t8.

Does the t8 mean it's a full spectrum light?

It's a 55g. It has two separate fixtures. On closer inspection the tubes i currently have are "power-glo" 15w t8.

Does the t8 mean it's a full spectrum light?

T8 is the size of bulb. In each individual fixture do you have 1 Bulb? So 2 bulbs total?

2 would be enough
4 would allow them to grow pretty good.

Yes, one tube per fixture. Two tubes total. I'm definitely curious about DIY set ups if they are cost effective and simple. I'm no electrician.

Compared to what I have now... What would the next step up in lighting be? The next best thing?

I've seen florescent tubes that are much narrower and typically have 2 tubes per fixture. Are these an option?

I'm currently running a two bulb shop t8 shop light over my 55 gallon right now. I think it'd be enough for your low light needs.

Well what would your budget be? Odyssea makes T5HO fixtures that come with bulbs that will definitely be a step up. There's better T5HO out there with better reflectors, but Odyssea would do the job. AquaTraders.com have them for a decent price.

My budget it about $200-$250. I would need either two short fixtures or one long one. (4ft tank) if I get two I can split the purchase and possibly spend more over a longer period of time.

That's a pretty decent budget. Maybe consider LED lighting. Energy bill will be less and no need to buy new bulbs annually.

The Finnex Ray 2 48" (daylight/7000k) would be within your budget.

Edit: this lighting would be more then adequate for your current plant list. To avoid algae you might need to either suspend the fixture or add window screen mesh to reduce the intensity. You can can always lower the fixture or remove the screen when you want higher lighting for more demanding plants down the road. If for sure you know you want to stick with low light plants, you can get the cheaper and less intense Finnex Fugeray 48".

Last edited:
Yes, one tube per fixture. Two tubes total. I'm definitely curious about DIY set ups if they are cost effective and simple. I'm no electrician.

Compared to what I have now... What would the next step up in lighting be? The next best thing?

I've seen florescent tubes that are much narrower and typically have 2 tubes per fixture. Are these an option?

For the plants you have a single strip T8 bulb would be absolutely fine, it's what I have over my 55g, I have anubias ,crypts, swords, java fern, and pennywort floating. Cost of fixture about $65. Just make sure to use a 6500k daylight bulb

Ok it should put you at around 60$ for it all. Maybe less. I know that phishfriend has this on his 75.

Ok so buy 4 "clip on work lights", like 7$ a piece at lowes. And then just buy good CFLs for it. Might have to contact phishfriend about what bulbs he's using. Ik he has some HC thriving.

Back
Top Bottom