Lighting sticky - discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Another great stickie! I'm not sure if you would consider it part of a beginner's guide, but you may want to make a plug about AH Supply for a retro-fitted hood. It's beginner to me, but maybe not to the rest of ya. :wink:

Check the paragraph above Spectrum and color. I mention both Ahsupply.com and hellolights.com :)
I should mention lots of people find good fixture prices on eBay...but make sure they are freshwater bulbs and not actinics or 50/50's.

Thanks Malkore -- I'm just now getting into the plant scene, and that was a really helpful and interesting read.

When buying lights, should the amount of natural light on your tank be considered? I am thinking of putting my tank in front of a large window and wonder what if any effect that could have.

Thanks!
PDub

PDub, it is not recommended to place any tank, let alone a planted one in front of a window. Algae will use this natural light source to strive in your tank.

On another note...a sticky is not the correct place to post a question. It would be better to create your own thread.

Anyone know whats the BEST bulb I can buy for a planted tank thats 18". Seems to be an odd size and every website starts at 24" bulbs. Again I would like to spend around $30 or less on a GOOD bulb if possible. Thanks for the help. I have learned the hard way that the 'stock' bulb just doesnt cut it!

Interesting article and very helpful to me since I've just planted my 55 and 29 gallon. What is considered high, medium and low light though? Is 1-2 wpg low? 5-6 wp high or medium? What's the general cut off?

The rule which applies in "general only" and not in all tanks is
1-2wpg - low - med
2-3wpg - med - medhigh
3-5wpg - High - veryhigh

Where higher than 2.5 would require co2 injection.

Remember there are many factors that make the General WPG rule Inaccurate. (setup, spectrum, tank size, Lumins, bulb type)
czcz's Alternative Standards post above will help you in determining your correct lighting requirements

Back
Top Bottom