Lighting/Stocking question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would a 2 bulb T5HO 48w fixture with 2 10000k bulbs over a 29 gallon high be low, medium, or high light? Also is 2 GBR in a 29gallon high enough room for them? And will different types of tetras school together?
Thanks

depends on the reflectors but even with sub-par reflectors it'll probably put you in the medium/high area. With good reflectors you might even have too much light.

And yes 2 gbrs are fine in a 29, you could probably put 4 in there.

Well I'd say they're poor reflectors. There not individually reflected or anything. Would just turning one on be too low because I want to stay low to medium light, so I don't need CO2 or ferts. Also would 6700k lights push me even closer to high light.

Yeah I think I'd like to stick with two because don't they get aggressive in tight quarters. I'm thinking just a mated pair.

rams really aren't all that bad compared to other cichlids, as long as there is enough room for them to have their own little area to breed/rear their fry they seem to do o.k.

A pair would work out great though because it'd give you more stocking space for other stuff.

Ya I want some tetras and corys. Do you think If I only kept one bulb on I could keep easy plants like java moss/fern, wisteria, etc

I'd run both unless I started having algae issues. You may not have any at all, there are so many variables that you should try to utilize all of the lighting that you have unless it seems like its too much.

Those easy low-light plants have an amazing amount of growth in higher lighting.

Back
Top Bottom