lighting suggestions for 20 Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkrk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 Long that I would like to improve conditions for growing plants. I have gravel in the tank now and am not using any fertilizer and have figured I would want to run a low light planted aquarium. I don't want to get into CO2, etc but if there was something I could do to make a significant improvement over the single fluorescent I have in there now I want to consider it.

I was looking at the current satellite and the planted+ after doing some looking on this site. Any other suggestions? If I can do this under $100 that would be good.

The tank is 30 inches long so advice re what size to get would also be appreciated.

Maybe lighting is not the most important next step?

Thanks in advance
rk

I just got the planted+ 2 days ago for my 20 long. I love it although I can't give a report on how well it's doing as I just got it but a lot of people say they have good growth with it. I love the light it puts out though. You may want to use excel or glut or at least DIY co2 to help prevent algae though

I have a 20 Long that I would like to improve conditions for growing plants. I have gravel in the tank now and am not using any fertilizer and have figured I would want to run a low light planted aquarium. I don't want to get into CO2, etc but if there was something I could do to make a significant improvement over the single fluorescent I have in there now I want to consider it.

I was looking at the current satellite and the planted+ after doing some looking on this site. Any other suggestions? If I can do this under $100 that would be good.

The tank is 30 inches long so advice re what size to get would also be appreciated.

Maybe lighting is not the most important next step?

Thanks in advance
rk
What plants are you considering? If they are truly low light plants like Java ferns, anubias, and most crypts that single fluorescent is fine. Growth will be slow but healthy and you won't have to deal with algae. A 20 gallon long is only 12 inches high and when you add 2-3 inches of substrate its you're talking 9-10 inches from the light. Be patient, low light plants will do just fine. No need to spend more money.

Back
Top Bottom