Liquid CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am venturing into planted tanks for the first time with my new 46 gallon bowfront. Ive got about 60 pounds worth of eco complete at the bottom and have Flourish liquid plant fertilizer.

I wont be able to afford a Co2 system for awhile, and I was told that I wouldn't even really need one for the types of plants Im getting. (Jungle Val, Italian Val, Rotala, java fern, wisteria, anubias, dwarf sag..)

My question is how effective are the liquid Co2 'boosters', and would it be worthwhile to get a bottle?

pPETS-10611830t400.jpg

Honestly, with those plants, I'd just save your money for a CO2 tank and regulator. I've never used them but that list of plant species is fairly undemanding, lower light plants.

I have never used API's product, but I have used Flourish Excel and also Brightwell Aquatics' brand (I can't think of the name offhand). Both products worked great for me. The major downside to these products is the cost over time, of course. Also, I have been told that Excel will melt vals so I haven't used it in tanks with vals. I HAVE used Brightwell's brand in a tank with vals and I did not have any trouble at all with melting. In fact, I was growing some of the nicest vals I've ever grown in that tank, until I got lazy with the dosing and trimming.

severum mama said:
I have never used API's product, but I have used Flourish Excel and also Brightwell Aquatics' brand (I can't think of the name offhand). Both products worked great for me. The major downside to these products is the cost over time, of course. Also, I have been told that Excel will melt vals so I haven't used it in tanks with vals. I HAVE used Brightwell's brand in a tank with vals and I did not have any trouble at all with melting. In fact, I was growing some of the nicest vals I've ever grown in that tank, until I got lazy with the dosing and trimming.

I use flourish excel as well. I have lots of vals and never have had any issues. But there is all kinds of talk online about this happening. I dosed below the recommended amount at first and slowly built up to the recommended level.

Awesome! Thank you for the input. Ill have to do a bit of research.

How often do you guys dose with fertilizer and Co2?

Look into DIY co2 diffused if u need co2. I have heard liquid co2 boosters don't really wrk... I use the DIY and it seems to wrk...

Any glutaraldehyde product will work. It might get a bad rep from people using it incorrectly and/or expecting the ridiculous from it, but it absolutely works, and will benefit any light level, from low light to high light/high tech.

If you have vals, I would recommend working your way up to the recommended dosage slowly, as although they can be acclimated to it, more than a few people have experienced die-off of their vals after dosing with Excel.

Also, the term "liquid CO2" makes the chemist in me squirm.

severum mama said:

I have vals in one of my tanks with excel and have never had a problem

joejeff said:
Look into DIY co2 diffused if u need co2. I have heard liquid co2 boosters don't really wrk... I use the DIY and it seems to wrk...

I have it the other way round diy c02 did nothing for my tank but Excel made it explode with growth plus imo diy c02 looks messy

richpowell1989 said:
I have it the other way round diy c02 did nothing for my tank but Excel made it explode with growth plus imo diy c02 looks messy

DIY co2 depends heavily on the size of the tank. Excel is not as limited.

aqua_chem said:
DIY co2 depends heavily on the size of the tank. Excel is not as limited.

Fair enough I was running it on my 46 gal and my 75 gal so I guess that's why it didn't work ?

It's so funny how experiences differ. Idk if the co2 diffuser I made is wrkn for sure. All I know is my plants are doin great... So I won't question it... But I may look into Excel. Have heard it rocks. Idk. Still new to plants.

Do you have a ph and kh test kit? You can figure out your ppm of CO2 roughly by using the two.

meegosh said:
Do you have a ph and kh test kit? You can figure out your ppm of CO2 roughly by using the two.

How does that wrk... How do u figure it out based on that

It's worth noting that the above chart assumes no other pH active chemicals in the water, including organic acids/tanins from wood, plants, etc.

Also, although it might be obvious, that chart doesn't measure Excel in the slightest.

So what exactly is Excel. Thought it was a fert... So it is a liquid co2

Back
Top Bottom