Liquid fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are your thoughts on liquid fertilizer and co2 supplements like flourish excel?

Excel is amazing but expensive. You can buy a gallon of metricide 14 day sterilizing solution for $20. It's the same thing but twice as powerful.

Liquid ferts are great in a low light tank but any more than that and I would move that up to dry ferts.

Amen! Why buy the water that they mix with the fert? By the ferts by themselves and mix your own water. Much cheaper. Look at Green Leaf Aquariums fertilizers. OS.

As Mebbid has stated liquid fertilizers work great in low tech tanks. I use Flourish Comprehensive as it is a well rounded fertilizer but Brightwells Aquatic FlorinMulti is just as good if you can get that. If you move up in the planted tank world and get into Co2 and bright lights dry ferts are the way to go. They are cheaper in the long run and easier to managing in those tanks.

But i was using flourish excel in my tank for about a week and a half then i woke up one morning and all of my fish were dead now I'm nervous about using it again!

What size is your tank and how much Excel are you dosing? I have dosed liquid carbon as high as 1ml liquid carbon to every 1/2 gallon of tank water without fish loss. Most likely if you lost all your fish in one night something else happened as liquid carbons only stay in solution 12 to 24 hours and begin to breakdown shortly after adding to a tank.

What size is your tank and how much Excel are you dosing? I have dosed liquid carbon as high as 1ml liquid carbon to every 1/2 gallon of tank water without fish loss. Most likely if you lost all your fish in one night something else happened as liquid carbons only stay in solution 12 to 24 hours and begin to breakdown shortly after adding to a tank.

I was dosing .5 ml every other day and its a 10 gallon planted tank

At that dosage it wasn't the liquid carbon that caused the sudden death of your fish. One thing most people don't know about liquid carbon is that if you do overdose in your tank all that happens is your water becomes cloudly for a day. As the liquid carbon breaks down the tank water will clear. Even at those levels you would rarely have any problems with fish.

Honestly it is quite safe to use when dosed properly.

At that dosage it wasn't the liquid carbon that caused the sudden death of your fish. One thing most people don't know about liquid carbon is that if you do overdose in your tank all that happens is your water becomes cloudly for a day. As the liquid carbon breaks down the tank water will clear. Even at those levels you would rarely have any problems with fish.

Honestly it is quite safe to use when dosed properly.

+1 I generally dose my 10g with 10ml daily. Once I accidentally dosed 20ml. No issues at all.

Does it have fish?

Not sure what your asking but if your asking if the tanks where high doses of liquid carbon are used then the answer is yes. The only time you can run into problems with using high doses of liquid carbon in a planted tank is with certain delicate shrimp. Most all fish can handle it quite well even at higher doses.

Back
Top Bottom