liquid fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
For right now I use a liquid tetra flora pride fertilizer. I dose with every water change. Im not exactly sure tho on how planted a tank a one week dose would supplement. Can you over dose liquid ferts? I had a bit of a root tab issue a couple weeks ago Id like to avoid but would like to see my plants doing better.
Mainly my Val that excel seemed to melt up.
I switched to DIY co2 for now but was wondering if I did a mid week dose to get some extra potassium in there would it hurt anything? I did this one week with what seemed no adverse sides a while ago.
thanks

What light do you have over your tank and how large is your tank? That will be the main determining factor of whether you need it or not.

For right now I use a liquid tetra flora pride fertilizer. I dose with every water change. Im not exactly sure tho on how planted a tank a one week dose would supplement.

Use a nutrient calculator. This one has a setting for florapride: Yet Another Nutrient Calculator

Can you over dose liquid ferts? I had a bit of a root tab issue a couple weeks ago Id like to avoid but would like to see my plants doing better.
Mainly my Val that excel seemed to melt up.
I switched to DIY co2 for now but was wondering if I did a mid week dose to get some extra potassium in there would it hurt anything? I did this one week with what seemed no adverse sides a while ago.
thanks

Florapride doesn't have a whole lot of potassium, but it has too much iron, in my opinion. Potassium is relatively harmless, and extra would be a good thing, but trying to overdose florapride as your source of K will add too much iron, and likely will build up over time. Excess iron can have undesirable effects.

API Leaf Zone is a similar product, but has less iron content, so that might be a better choice.

Are you adding any other supplements? If you're already adding iron (Flourish comprehensive contains iron, for example), you might be better off just using something like Flourish Potassium, which contains K, but no Fe. Another (cheaper) option is to switch to dry ferts.

Lack of potassium might not be what's limiting your plants, however. In that case, adding more at this point would not have any effect. When you say you'd like to see them doing better, what do you mean exactly? Are there any symptoms of nutrient deficiency?

I mean my val doing better. Returning from the melt.
I was using flourish iron in a very small dose with the excel but stopped because the tetra has iron to.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Vals can be really slow to recover. Adding extra ferts won't help (unless there's a deficiency). The only way to speed it up is more light/CO2. Vals aren't picky, and will adapt to just about any light-level, but they need a lot of light for fast growth. I guess one thing that could help is to temporarily pot it and somehow elevate it so it's closer to the light source until it recovers. I've done that with swords before with good results.

Back
Top Bottom