liquid ferts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been using tetra florapride as a liquid fert aside tetra tabs since I started with the tank.
I recently bought Flourish Excel to try since I heard its really good (might build a DIY CO tank to).
Is it a bad Idea to use both during my water changes? Is there a major difference since they both seem to contain nearly the same ingredients? I dont believe the tetra adds CO like the excel.

thanks

I would probably use a half dose of the Excel, and half dose of the FloraPride. I've heard good things, and bad things about Excel, and I have had good and bad experiences with it.

As for other liquid fertilizers, I would suggest FlorinMulti. Works wonderfully for me, and pretty cheap online, too. I use about 2-3 ml for my 20 long once a week.

And for the root tabs, I have used API, Seachem Flourish, and Osmocote Plus. All are about the same in my opinion. Currently using API.

I also recently did a DIY CO2 build for under $10.

Liquid Fertilizer

I have been using tetra florapride as a liquid fert aside tetra tabs since I started with the tank.
I recently bought Flourish Excel to try since I heard its really good (might build a DIY CO tank to).
Is it a bad Idea to use both during my water changes? Is there a major difference since they both seem to contain nearly the same ingredients? I dont believe the tetra adds CO like the excel.

thanks

Hello Nick...

I'd try one and use it up and then use the other. Plants aren't much different than fish. They can tire of the same diet month after month. My plant guy at alphaprobreeders recommended Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive when I first got my plants into the tank. You could cycle this liquid too. Nothing like a varied diet to keep the tank inhabitants healthy.

B

Hello Nick...

I'd try one and use it up and then use the other. Plants aren't much different than fish. They can tire of the same diet month after month. My plant guy at alphaprobreeders recommended Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive when I first got my plants into the tank. You could cycle this liquid too. Nothing like a varied diet to keep the tank inhabitants healthy.

B

My plants are tired of pps pro? What?!?!? Where do you come up with this stuff? Maybe ill mix in some cinnamon for the holiday seasons..
Nick- depending on lighting and plant load. It would be best to dose the excel daily, you could use api leaf zone and flourish comprehensive together for the ferts. Dry ferts will be much cheaper in the long run though.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

thanks

Excel and Florapride don't contain any of the same ingredients (except water ;) ). If you're going by the label ingredients, maybe you have regular Flourish comprehensive or another Flourish product, not Excel, which is only a carbon source, not a fertilizer. Check your bottle to be sure. Either way, iirc Florapride is pretty much only contains potassium and iron. I think all three together (Excel, regular Flourish comprehensive, and Florapride) should be a rather complete regimen for most low-tech tanks. Excel should be dosed daily, but I don't dose Excel (or Flourish Comprehensive) on water change day since Prime and Excel are both reducing agents. I always wait at least a day after using Prime before adding anything to the tank.

Hello Nick...

B

No...just please..no.

I would really just suggest using dry ferts over the store bought liquid ones tbh.

Also, the tetra tabs are junk. Im sure your plants are already sick of eating them.

I would suggest either ru tabs from peabodies paradise or diy osmocote plus root tabs.

Excel and Florapride don't contain any of the same ingredients (except water ;) ). If you're going by the label ingredients, maybe you have regular Flourish comprehensive or another Flourish product, not Excel, which is only a carbon source, not a fertilizer. Check your bottle to be sure. Either way, iirc Florapride is pretty much only contains potassium and iron. I think all three together (Excel, regular Flourish comprehensive, and Florapride) should be a rather complete regimen for most low-tech tanks. Excel should be dosed daily, but I don't dose Excel (or Flourish Comprehensive) on water change day since Prime and Excel are both reducing agents. I always wait at least a day after using Prime before adding anything to the tank.

this is what I bought

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUE6SC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but on the back they both say they add iron and potassium to the water I believe. Ill have to check and be sure they sent me the right thing now.

I dont want to over fert and harm the fish by making the water toxic, if thats possible.

this is what I bought

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUE6SC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but on the back they both say they add iron and potassium to the water I believe. Ill have to check and be sure they sent me the right thing now.

I dont want to over fert and harm the fish by making the water toxic, if thats possible.
You might have been sent the wrong thing if the excel says it adds iron and potassium to the tank. Irs nothing but a complex carbon atom that plants can use in lieu of co2.

You might have been sent the wrong thing if the excel says it adds iron and potassium to the tank. Irs nothing but a complex carbon atom that plants can use in lieu of co2.

[moderator edit] I opened it

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel doesn't contain iron, but it does reduce iron from ferric to ferrous state, which may be mentioned on the label. I can't remember. That could be the source of the confusion. I doubt it says anything about potassium though.

I'm finding an enormous difference between Osmocote DIY tabs and Seschem flourish root tabs.

Enormous, like ... New baby crypts barely grew for a month with seachem tabs and doubled in a week with a size 0 Osmocote tab.

Mebbids DIY tabs is a good thread to go find.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I'm finding an enormous difference between Osmocote DIY tabs and Seschem flourish root tabs.

Enormous, like ... New baby crypts barely grew for a month with seachem tabs and doubled in a week with a size 0 Osmocote tab.

+1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and the kitchen sink!

Excess nutes normally results in algae, nothing major to fish. Maybe inverts, or sensitive fish like otos.

Perhaps I should give the Osomocote Plus another whirl, and use a bit more this time. I've been known to under feed. ;)

If excess nutrients was the primary cause of algae than everyone dosing an EI fert schedule would have obscene amounts of algae. It's a balancing act between having enough ferts, proper light, and enough available carbon. If one is insufficient then that's when algae grows.

If excess nutrients was the primary cause of algae than everyone dosing an EI fert schedule would have obscene amounts of algae. It's a balancing act between having enough ferts, proper light, and enough available carbon. If one is insufficient then that's when algae grows.

+1...

Back
Top Bottom