Liquid ferts and Carbon packet in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glorifiedfisher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I was just wondering your thoughts on liquid ferts and carbon in your filter? I have read several reports.... Some state to remove the carbon, others say it's ok to leave in.

Hi all I was just wondering your thoughts on liquid ferts and carbon in your filter? I have read several reports.... Some state to remove the carbon, others say it's ok to leave in.

I'd say it's fine to leave in. It will exhaust itself within a month and then turn into a space for beneficial bacteria to grow on. It won't absorb ferts though. It does good absorbing organic material and meds but has difficulty absorbing the elements that plants consume.

As for liquid ferts in general, imho they are junk. You are paying way too much for extremely cheap materials and paying extra only because it's packaged already mixed in water.

Thanks for that. My main reason for liquid ferts is 2 java fern plants which are on driftwood, as is my anubius nana, therefore root tabs are useless for them..

Thanks for that. My main reason for liquid ferts is 2 java fern plants which are on driftwood, as is my anubius nana, therefore root tabs are useless for them..

With just java fern and anubias I honestly wouldn't even bother with adding ferts. Your fish will supply plenty as it is.

Liquid Ferts & Carbon

Hello glori...

It's not wrong to use carbon, but if you're changing half the tank water every week or so, you don't need it.

Again, liquid fertilizers are fine. Just dose according to the instructions when you change the tank water. But, if you have a good fish load in the tank and feed them a healthy varieity of foods, they'll provide all the ferts your plants need.

This is just the way I've done things for a few years. Do your research and make your own decisions. There are many ways to succeed in the "waterkeeping" hobby.

B

Thanks for all of the replies...
My fish load currently stands at 4 swordtails, 2 platy and 2 Cory. Plants; 2 java fern, 1 anubius nana, 3 valisneria, 2 Cryptocryne sp and the beginnings of a lilaeopsis "carpet". All of these should require the lower end of the light spectrum and have 2wpg from my set up. I don't want to go into the realms of co2, wether it's DIY or not, I don't think it's necessary in my 25 gal..
The plants have been in a little while and I'm looking at giving them optimal conditions really..
After the advice in here from you knowledgable people, I'll be leaving my carbon in for added surface area for bacteria.
Any other advice in ferts etc would be great :)

Thanks for all of the replies...
My fish load currently stands at 4 swordtails, 2 platy and 2 Cory. Plants; 2 java fern, 1 anubius nana, 3 valisneria, 2 Cryptocryne sp and the beginnings of a lilaeopsis "carpet". All of these should require the lower end of the light spectrum and have 2wpg from my set up. I don't want to go into the realms of co2, wether it's DIY or not, I don't think it's necessary in my 25 gal..
The plants have been in a little while and I'm looking at giving them optimal conditions really..
After the advice in here from you knowledgable people, I'll be leaving my carbon in for added surface area for bacteria.
Any other advice in ferts etc would be great :)

The lilaeopsis is actually a fairly high light plant but you're right, the rest have low light requirements. The crypts will need root tabs though as they are heavy root feeders.

I'm also in agreement that co2 shouldn't be necessary for you.

Awesome thanks! I read that the lilaeopsis will grow slower an taller in lower light..

Back
Top Bottom