Liquid plant food question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
WHat liquid plant food is best for Indian ferns, amazon swords. Java moss, java fern and moss balls?

I normaly use tetra planta min but all they had was jbl ferropol. Is the jbl one better?

No experience with tetra plant food

I use Seachem Flourish when I do weekly water changes for my low light tanks with similar plants

Liquid Plant Food

WHat liquid plant food is best for Indian ferns, amazon swords. Java moss, java fern and moss balls?

I normaly use tetra planta min but all they had was jbl ferropol. Is the jbl one better?

Hello Banana...

If your tank is reasonably stocked with fish, then you have a source for the "macro" nutrients. The fish combined with large, frequent water changes is all I use for the bulk nutrients.

Your plants also need the micro nutrients or what some people call the "trace elements". I dose a liquid called "Microblast" from Earth Juice. It's easy to dose weekly when you do your water changes. My plants do very well with it. Attached is a pic of one of the tanks that gets a weekly dose.

B

Well all the fish I have in my tank is just 7 tiger barbs and 5 otos I'm planing on adding 2 corydoras in a few months. I have peat pellets in my filter and iv heard they at good for plants somehow. And I do 25% water changes weekly.

Because my tank is understocked does that mean I don't have a good enough supply of 'marcro' nutrients?

Liquid Plant Food

Well all the fish I have in my tank is just 7 tiger barbs and 5 otos I'm planing on adding 2 corydoras in a few months. I have peat pellets in my filter and iv heard they at good for plants somehow. And I do 25% water changes weekly.

Because my tank is understocked does that mean I don't have a good enough supply of 'marcro' nutrients?

Hello Banana...

Your water changes should be close to 50 percent every week. This will keep the mineral levels high in the water. Your plants will do better in the pure, high mineral water. You can get plant supplements at the pet store too. Of course lighting is most important, so you need to match the plants to the lighting you have. But, just stock your tank according to the fishes' adult size and with the appropriate number and add your trace elements.

Your plants should be fine.

B

Okay I didn't know I was meant to do that much of a water change. Sorry this is my last question i dont want to start a new thread. Can I mix plant foods? I found 30 ml of tetra plant food with my treatments so can I mix that with the jbl plant food?

You can mix just keep an eye on levels, although I have seen more issues/threads from under dosing. The plants you have are very hardy don't need a whole lot.

Liquid Plant Food

Okay I didn't know I was meant to do that much of a water change. Sorry this is my last question i dont want to start a new thread. Can I mix plant foods? I found 30 ml of tetra plant food with my treatments so can I mix that with the jbl plant food?

Banana...

Your fish will also appreciate larger, weekly water changes. By changing more water you're removing more of the wastes your fish produce. Pollutants can stress your fish and make them sick.

You can alternate plant foods, but I wouldn't combine them. You may give your plants too much of a specific nutrient or nutrients. Give your plants a supplement for a few weeks and see how they do. If they don't grow well, then change. Plants are just like anything else living. They do best with a variety of foods.

B

But that will be removing the ammonia and nitrite which will starve the bacteria in my tank.

Iv decided i won't mix them I'll just change brand once I used ups bottle.

In a well planted tank the bacteria will have a pretty constant ammonia source from the fish but your plants will also absorb it as a nutrient. some people don't even bother to use biological filter media for bacteria. The bacteria in the tank itself coupled with the plants work together to process fish waste.

Back
Top Bottom