Liquid's Planted 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiQuiD

Aquarium Advice Activist
FINALLY!!

I cannot tell you all how long I have waited to get this puppy up and running. I have owned this 75gal tank now for almost 2 years, and it has sat quietly and sadly, empty in my garage. Due to the roller coaster that is life's turn of events, I was not able to get it started as soon as I would like. BUT that is all about to change. I told the wife I am getting rid of our love seat, and making room for another love of mine. (She didn't like that joke.) I have been so grateful to all of you that have had the patience and support for answering my noobish questions regarding my other tanks, and I am now hoping to call on you all once more to help me achieve planted tank harmony.

After scoring a mind blowing deal on the this tank stand last year from Petsmart, I'm finally able to put it all together. Now that it has a home, time to start installing power, and getting the tank painted. :brows:

Color me very envious! I wish i had room for a tank that large. Can't wait to see how this develops. :popcorn:

Thanks! Yeah, Im in a small apartment down here in Costa Mesa, so my other tanks have taken over my garage. Its a nice getaway spot, but I want to show off my work! :)

The equipment I will be using for the job. Open to any and all suggestions. Im hitting this tank hard this weekend!

Filter - Marineland C-360
img_3364796_0_918d39586d99e47fe9d3ed931f8f22e6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I was on the fence about what filter to get. I use Fluval filters on my other 2 tanks, but I honestly feel that their "suction" quality isnt the best. I have push debris toward the intake, and seen just a gentle pull toward the intake on both of my models. Both are installed below their tanks, and there is no added polishing pads blocking water flow. Not saying they aren't a good product, Im just ready to explore other options.

I had heard good things about the SunSun filter, and the price was right, so I was aiming for that. I then noticed that so many filters have this design, including the Marineland. As luck would have it, I was in a Petsmart a few weeks ago, and I noticed a big 30% off sticker on this filter. Apparently it had been returned the next day, and all that was missing was the polishing pads. It was also on sale, so I was able to get it 30% off its sale price! Ended up spending around $90 bucks on it. Took it home, and set it up on my 55 gallon to get the some good bacteria going into it, and its working like a champ with no problems.

Lighting - Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus

I love these lights. Not having to worry about connecting stuff to timers is really nice and convenient, not to mention all the cool colors you can change it too. I work really late hours and am a total night owl, so I want to be able to appreciate the tanks at that time. These lights help me do that. I have my new 48" on the way, and was wondering....Should I put 2 of them on here?:confused::confused:

Substrate - Florin Volcanit Rio Escuro - F

Ive heard wonders about this substrate, and decided to stop my dirted tank route, and do this instead. I waited on purchasing this substrate in hopes to get it on sale, and my patience was rewarded. This past holiday season, Dr Foster & smith had a really nice holiday sale. (25% Off I think?) I picked up 7 bags. Once they were delivered, 2 of them were split open inside the box. One was bad, but the other was manageable. I called them and they sent me 2 more bags, free of charge! So I have a little more substrate to use than planned. :D I have an idea about its scape, but for now, i just want to get it filled and going. Ill make the aesthetic changes I want once its cycled.

Powerhead - Hydor Koralia Pump 565 GPH

Hoping this helps create a good current to help push around C02, and helps get debris to the filter intake.

C02 Tank - 10lb Tank, and I just installed a new Aquatek Premium Regulator on it. My old one was crappy so this should fix that problem.

Very interesting choices. The 360 is a great filter, but, for a 75, I'd have been tempted to go for a Fluval FX 6. (Admittedly overkill, but I'm a filtration nut). Hard to argue with that price, though. And, if you need more filtration, an Aquaclear is easy to add.

I have a Finnex Planted-Plus on my 20-long and just love it. I wish now I had spring for the 24/7 so I could have more control. If you're tempted by medium-high to high light plants, you might want two, given the depth of that tank.

I know nothing about Volcanit substrate. What attracted you to it?

Pardon me while I get more popcorn. :popcorn:

I second that envy. I'm half in the same boat. Last Christmas I bought myself a 4x2x2 foot tank and have had to leave it empty ever since. It was sold to me at cost price when a LFS closed. The dimensions were what I'd been looking for so I snatched it up. Life issues (money) have kept me from getting it running how I want. The time is nearing though. Luckily I have other tanks running to occupy me.

I look forwards to watching your adventure unfold Liquid.

I second that envy. I'm half in the same boat. Last Christmas I bought myself a 4x2x2 foot tank and have had to leave it empty ever since. It was sold to me at cost price when a LFS closed. The dimensions were what I'd been looking for so I snatched it up. Life issues (money) have kept me from getting it running how I want. The time is nearing though. Luckily I have other tanks running to occupy me.

I look forwards to watching your adventure unfold Liquid.

Thanks Alan, I feel your pain! But, thank goodness for the other tanks, they will make moving up to another larger tank, that much easier. :)

Very interesting choices. The 360 is a great filter, but, for a 75, I'd have been tempted to go for a Fluval FX 6. (Admittedly overkill, but I'm a filtration nut). Hard to argue with that price, though. And, if you need more filtration, an Aquaclear is easy to add.

I have a Finnex Planted-Plus on my 20-long and just love it. I wish now I had spring for the 24/7 so I could have more control. If you're tempted by medium-high to high light plants, you might want two, given the depth of that tank.

I know nothing about Volcanit substrate. What attracted you to it?

Pardon me while I get more popcorn. :popcorn:

I totally agree Barliman, and will be adding more filtration later, this is just going to be the beginning. I looked at the FX6, but I just cant justify spending that kind of money on it after my experience with Fluval. Especially since I can get 2 of these filters for the cost of that one. I may either put my Aquaclear 110 on here or put another SunSun canister. Can never have too much filtration!!

As for the substrate, I really wanted to try the dirted tank route. Im a fan of Dustin's Fish Tanks, and have watched almost everything he has on youtube, and attended many free online Q&A of his. As big as an advocate of dirted tanks he is, he is now convinced that this substrate equals the same amount (if not more) nutrients from the volcanic properties than dirt. I then started reading reviews, and found many great things. (Doesnt need to be rinsed, VERY easy to plant in, nutrient enriched and they have multiple grain sizes and colors.) I looked at is as a discounted ADA soil, with very similar properties.

I think the painting is done. This is the 4th coat of paint I have put on here, and I have no more see-through areas. Roller made this job a breeze. I also got the power installed, and made holes for the C02 reactor. This stand has decent room for the two cabinets, but im not impressed with the magnet door piece. The doors seem to swing out really easily. With having a toddler around, ill have to replace these. Heading to Home Depot to get a large bucket for the filter, and ill pick up a simple cabinet closing device. :D

Nice choices for this build.
I think I used 3-4 coats on the last tank I planted. The key was allowing ample drying time between coats.
Perhaps you can add a second power strip with a toggle switch. Plug it into the existing power strip. Connect the filter and heater to the second strip. When doing water changes, flip the toggle...no unplugging cords or interrupting the power to the 24/7.
I don't know much about the Volcanit substrate but I've seen the results (fabulous).
I have a Finnex FugeRay, Planted+, and 24/7. Ironically, the most powerful one (24/7) is on the tank with the lowest light requirement (shrimp tank with moss). I was running it in 24/7 mode and loved for the same reasons you've mentioned. However, I had been dealing with a string algae issue so I changed it to manual mode and dropped it to 10%. The planted+ and FugeRay sit atop my planted tank.
Looking forward to the progress pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Especially since I can get 2 of these filters for the cost of that one. I may either put my Aquaclear 110 on here or put another SunSun canister. Can never have too much filtration!!

I like having dual filters, too, just in case one craps out. That way, I don't lose my whole biofiltration.

As for the substrate, I really wanted to try the dirted tank route. Im a fan of Dustin's Fish Tanks, and have watched almost everything he has on youtube, and attended many free online Q&A of his. As big as an advocate of dirted tanks he is, he is now convinced that this substrate equals the same amount (if not more) nutrients from the volcanic properties than dirt.

I've learned a lot from Dustin's videos. I may have to give this Volcanit a try in my next tank. (y)

Well I just rushed home to open my package of my new 24/7 planted plus, and I came home to this bull$#!+... I cant believe my eyes...

ARRRRGGHHHH!!! :banghead:

Oh and for the record, those arent my feet with nail polish. :D

Oh, that stinks about the 24/7! Were they using if for batting practice? Hope they send a replacement pronto.
Thanks for clarifying the last part, though, not judging. They were drawing my eyes away from the shipping tragedy and the nice wide plank flooring.

Jeez, what'd they do, stress test it against a lamppost? Live action roleplay in the UPS shipping room? Man, I'd be angry. I hope the seller sends you a replacement quickly.

And, no need to explain about the feet, man. We're not judging. Sort of...

Oh, that stinks about the 24/7! Were they using if for batting practice? Hope they send a replacement pronto.
Thanks for clarifying the last part, though, not judging. They were drawing my eyes away from the shipping tragedy and the nice wide plank flooring.

Jeez, what'd they do, stress test it against a lamppost? Live action roleplay in the UPS shipping room? Man, I'd be angry. I hope the seller sends you a replacement quickly.

And, no need to explain about the feet, man. We're not judging. Sort of...

LOL, I know right?

Well thankfully I got a replacement and a nice apology quickly. (y)

After a nice long week at E3, then a busy Father's Day weekend, im back to the tank. Got the substrate in, some new driftwood in, and a large rock from my other tank to help speed up the process. Filter is hooked up, and I must say that I am very impressed with the GPH. Both intake and outtake appear to have good power. Also installed the power head and the digital thermometer. Its not much to look at now, but its on its way. Im going to focus on the aquascape after its cycled. I have lots of plants and hardscape items from my other tanks that I am going to use here, then tear down my 55 gal.

img_3366291_0_4e5ebd3ad766c5b1839e7efa7aa6353e.jpg

img_3366291_1_4beb177faf594170d28099a1e88b23b5.jpg

I think I am going to bring my Aquaclear 110 up and fill it full of pillow batting to clear up the water. Ill also pluck a few Jungle Val from the other tanks to help bring more good tank media in, and make it better to look at.

I think I am going to bring my Aquaclear 110 up and fill it full of pillow batting to clear up the water. Ill also pluck a few Jungle Val from the other tanks to help bring more good tank media in, and make it better to look at.

Good idea adding the Aquaclear. I'd be inclined to keep it running, just to have some redundancy if one filter fails.

Yes, fill the ac110 with fluff and let it run. It should help clear up the water.

Back
Top Bottom