Little help........please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bongo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey folks, wanted to ask some advice. Aquaruim has been running good now for 6 months ro so with guppies and platties. Lots of fry now too (in little breading hatchery. All planst right now are plastic and I've been thinking about changing some for live plants. Starting small I've thought about adding some Cladophora Moss Balls. However, I've read about Co2 defusser or injections. Not sure if that's required for all plants or not. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Was hoping to just simply add live plants (if that's possible).

Many thanks

Uh, I think you MAY be in the wrong section. ;) But anyway, no, you don't need CO2 for all plants. Many plants like Java Ferns, and Anarchis (and others) are fine without CO2. A plant's CO2 intake is directly related to how much light it gets, so if you have a low to medium lighted tank, you should be fine without CO2. I just plopped some plants in there and they've been growing like crazy since.

(I know cause I have both of these plants without CO2)

Thanks

er...um...think you're right about being in the worng place... :eek2:

Many thanks for the quick reply and the info.

:flasingsmile:

I agree. Low-med light plants won't require Co2.

Welcome to AA!

Plants

Thanks. I think I'll get some in this week. Aquarium has light in the lid and a timer.
I also seen a plant called ELODEA DENSA which I believe grows all the way to the top of the tank then flowers.
What I'm not sure of is how to plant it. My aquarium has about 1/2 inch gravel at the bottom.

Thanks again, and appreciate the advice.

Moved to Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks section.

I agree with the others too, stick with low light plants and you will have no need for CO2. There are plenty of options out there that will grow just fine with your stock lighting.

In a planted tank you will want 2-3" of substrate. This allows the roots to spread out and not be crammed in a half inch of gravel.

Back
Top Bottom