Little metal bands...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimiheart

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some hornwort at my lfs, and it's got little metal bands on it. I'd rather let it float around in a bunch than plant it, but I'm finding mixed things about what's in that metal. Some things say it's harmless, other things are saying it's lead and it will kill all of my fish and the hornwort and possibly my children and neighbors (okay, maybe exaggerating a bit, but OMG LEAD!). Is it safe in my tanks?

If it isn't, alternatives to the metal banded weight that don't involve trying to find a way to get the hornwort to stay in sand?

I got some hornwort at my lfs, and it's got little metal bands on it. I'd rather let it float around in a bunch than plant it, but I'm finding mixed things about what's in that metal. Some things say it's harmless, other things are saying it's lead and it will kill all of my fish and the hornwort and possibly my children and neighbors (okay, maybe exaggerating a bit, but OMG LEAD!). Is it safe in my tanks?

If it isn't, alternatives to the metal banded weight that don't involve trying to find a way to get the hornwort to stay in sand?

You can use bonsai wire, rubber bands, cable ties, cotton thread, fishing line etc. if your worried about the metal I'd just ditch it for peace of mind [emoji106]

You can use bonsai wire, rubber bands, cable ties, cotton thread, fishing line etc. if your worried about the metal I'd just ditch it for peace of mind [emoji106]
My girls eat rubber bands. *pokes mollies* None of those weigh down, though. I suppose I could look for some rocks to tie it to. I don't have any real ones in that tank.

I've often wondered about the safety of using the metal bands (plant weights). I've used them in the past with no ill effects that I'm aware of. Primary for keeping moss from floating away.
If you have any spare noodle style ceramic media (cylinder with a hole), you could use that as a weight along with thread or fishing line.

I've kept all the metal bands that have come with plants; they get re-used every time I trim stem plants to weigh the 'new plants' until roots get established. None of the shrimp, snails, or fish seem to be any worse for wear (y)

I've kept all the metal bands that have come with plants; they get re-used every time I trim stem plants to weigh the 'new plants' until roots get established. None of the shrimp, snails, or fish seem to be any worse for wear (y)

And the neighbor's children haven't exploded? :wink:

I've left them on since I got them after doing a quick bath, and nothing exciting happened. But this is a new type of plant for me, so I figured I'd check.:thanks:

I have a bunch of anacharis being held down in a platy grow-out tank by the lead weight they came tied with. So far (over a month, now), no problems. The guy who owns the LFS I shop at is a plant guru and he has fish in that tank, so, if he's fine with it... (y)

Back
Top Bottom