Live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like to start looking into adding live plants to my tank instead of having all this plastic crap. I Deff don't know what I can or should put in my tank and if I need to buy a new lighting system for it (which I prefer not to do). I have a 75 gal with 2 filters, ac 110 and an eheim canister 2213 and a standard fluorescent light (it's a lil to bright for my liking). Current stock is:
1 veil angel
1 gourami
1 leopard looking fish( not sure it's actual name)
4 tetras
5 rasboras
And 15 assorted Cory cats
Trying to get my hands on 2 gbr's as well.
Any help with plants would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah you could defiantly add live plants. It's not exactly necessary but will help your plants grow if you buy a co2 supplement, root tabs, and either a liquid or dry fert. There are a lot of low light plants you could get. My 55g is currently heavily ish stocked with low light plants.

One option to add cheap, decent quality lighting is to pick up compact fluorescent bulbs (23 Watts probably) and shop light fixtures from lowes or Home Depot. They're like $4 per bulb and $6 per fixture. Hang them from the ceiling or set them on a glass top. Some great plants to start with are swords (amazon, Uruguayan), Java ferns, and anubias as they don't have difficult light requirements. Swords need root tabs, but other than that they're pretty simple. Get bigger plants for the back, medium plants for the middle, and ground covering or dwarf plants for the foreground. Varying colors and leaf shapes give a great look. Sometimes it's trial and error with what works. Google pictures of planted tanks to see what you like, and make sure you check out the plants' needs before you buy. Have fun!!

Adding a mixture of driftwood and rocks will make the whole thing look more natural too :)

Yes, usually you just submerge the plant to just above the roots in your substrate. If you are using root tabs, which I would definitely suggest (at least for something that is a heavy root feeder like a sword or lotus), plant your plant in the sand, and then bury the root tab underneath the roots, deep in the sand. Only a few types of plants don't need to be planted in sand. I believe java ferns and anubias prefer to grow exposed on wood or rocks. I've found that my swords grow better if the tip of their roots peek out over the sand.

Honestly you have so many options that it is impossible for me to just tell you what to do. I would suggest making groupings of plants near your decorative pieces, so that it isn't just a big mush of plants. Google "planted tank ____ gallon" and save the pictures you like, and pick out what you like about them, and try to replicate that in your own tank. Another important factor is what plants are available to you. Will you buy from your local lfs store or online? Go to your lfs and see what they have available, do some online shopping to see what you can find there, and then start planning it out. Do one section of the tank at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. It can also get expensive really quickly, especially with a bigger tank.

I would get a large piece of drift wood. Get two or three already grown swords, anacharis, some anbious or java fern to attach to the drift wood or even moss. You could grow wisteria, and more etc.

+1 on the driftwood! If you can get a big piece that is interesting looking, it can really help shape your tank - and I think the swords are a great idea too

+1 on it can get expensive. I've spent more on plants then I did on the complete tank setup.

Haha oh definitely. It's a whole other addiction. But so worth it!

Ok I'll have to do a lot more research before I get started. I'd Deff like the more natural look now that I have a bigger tank, and I would like to try and buy local if I could

Great idea. I'd recommend taking your time. It's going to take a while to get a feel of what you want. But like I said, I think it's totally worth the time and money. I'm so proud of my tanks now, and Iove watching them. Plus it makes your fish happier and your water cleaner! You'll love it! ;)

Oh, also - I'd recommend a background if you can. I just have a plain black background taped to my tank. It brings out the color of your plants and fish, keeps in the light, and makes your plants look more substantial, in my opinion.

Yeah, my 55g doesn't have a background and I really wish it did. I just spent another $20 on plants and my tank is the clearest it's ever been. Also planted tanks are not that hard unless you go for higher light plants.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406031481.824983.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406031491.751195.jpg
I'd like to go for something like these, but I've also noticed some tanks that look way over grown. Will the plants grow so much that I'll have to trim them, I really don't want my tank turning into a jungle

So I'd have to somehow dim my light source or get a new one to not have it grow as much?

If I did suck it up and buy a new lighting system, which would be recommended?

Back
Top Bottom